Birmingham City 2 Barnsley 0 - More away day misery for Reds

Barnsley would have travelled to Birmingham hoping for a lucky omen, but instead they suffered a familiar taste of away misery in the Championship.

Tuesday, 20th August 2019, 22:12 pm
Updated Tuesday, 20th August 2019, 22:33 pm
Barnsley manager Daniel Stendel

It was at St Andrew's where the Reds last won away in the second tier, a 2-0 victory back in February 2018, but the scoreline was reversed on Tuesday night.

Blues won it through goals in the final 25 minutes from Lucas Jutkiewicz and Candela Alvaro Gimenez as Daniel Stendel's men slumped to a second away defeat of the season and ninth game on the road at this level without a win.

It started brightly for them as Luke Thomas went close before a strong penalty appeal was turned down by referee Geoff Eltringham after Bambo Diaby went down.

Blues began to take control and former Red Marc Roberts headed wide a fine chance before goalkeeper Samuel Radlinger produced a superb stop to deny Fran Villalba.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The Austrian was again called into action 20 minutes after the restart as he denied Jutkiewicz, but just four minutes later the former Everton man was celebrating.

He headed home Wes Harding's cross to give Blues a deserved lead, knocking the wind out of the Reds' sails.

And the hosts killed the game in the 77th minute as Alvaro Gimenez provided a moment of real quality when he chipped in.

The Reds have won two from two at home, and that is where the bulk of their points will come, but Stendel will know they will have to improve on the road.

Birmingham: Camp, Harding, Dean, Roberts, Pedersen, Seddon, Davis, Sunjic, Villalba (G Gardner 75), Alvaro Gimenez (Montero 80), Jutkiewicz (Bailey 90)

Unused subs: Stockdale, Crowley, C Gardner, Medina

Barnsley: Radlinger, Sibbick, Diaby, Andersen, Williams, McGeehan, Mowatt, Thomas (Halme 83), Bahre (Wilks 73), Thiam (Schmidt 73), Chaplin

Unused subs: Collins, Green, Styles, Pinillos

Referee: Geoff Eltringham

Attendance: 20,061