Reds sack manager: Barnsley 1 Blackburn 3

Exit: Keith Hill sacked after Barnsley were beaten 3-1 at home to Blackburn. Photo: Dean Atkins.
Exit: Keith Hill sacked after Barnsley were beaten 3-1 at home to Blackburn. Photo: Dean Atkins.
Have your say

BARNSLEY have sacked manager Keith Hill after their 3-1 home defeat to Blackburn sent the club to the bottom of the npower Championship table.

Former Doncaster Rovers boss Sean O’Driscoll is the early favourite to manage the struggling club, who are now searching for their fourth manager in three and a half years.


A dismal record of one win from their last 14 matches didn’t help Hill’s cause despite assurances from the club that his future would be safe until the New Year.

Barnsley director Don Rowing confirmed: “It’s not a very nice thing to have to tell someone, but we have just dispensed with Keith’s services.

“It is a results-based decision, one which all of the board members backed.

“We have seen since good attacking football at Barnsley since Keith joined us 18 months ago, but looking at our league position now, it was clear a change was required before it’s too late.

“Keith has been under pressure for some time, but today was particularly disappointing and the outcome forced us into a decision.

“Keith is super footballing man, but we couldn’t let the situation get any worse so we all just wish him all the best for the future now.

“It saddens me, but overall things haven’t worked out as we all would have liked.”

Assistant manager Dave Flitcroft is set to take charge of the Reds for their New Year’s Day trip to Peterborough, while the early front-runner to replace Hill will be locally-based O’Driscoll, who was surprisingly shown the door by Nottingham Forest during the week.

Hill, 43, was under increasing pressure in recent weeks and earned a stay of execution following his side’s Boxing Day win at Millwall, but the Tykes slumped to a seventh home league defeat of the season today after losing to managerless Blackburn.

Josh King gave the Rovers a first-half lead, beating Reds goalkeeper Luke Steele in a one-on-one encounter.

And things got worse for the Reds when Rochina netted a second for the visitors on 44 minutes.

Stephen Dawson snatched a lifeline for Barnsley with 15 minutes remaining, only for Jordan Rhodes to secure an away win with a stoppage-time third goal.