Reds FT: Barnsley 2 Blackpool 0

Reds celebrate
Reds celebrate
Have your say

Barnsley came out on top against Blackpool, helped by a Chris O’Grady double.

Today’s visit of Blackpool was another great opportunity for Barnsley to bag three precious points that would lift them closer to the safety mark.

Blackpool had picked up just one point from their previous eight Championship fixtures.

The home fans were hoping that today’s visitors were there for the taking, as rival bosses Ince and Wilson were both desperate for a very much-needed victory.

The Seasiders threatened first when Davies got a header to Bishop’s hopeful cross, but his effort was blocked by Ramage.

Davies got a better contact on a cross from the opposite flank from Robinson but keeper Steele was there to produce a smart save.

The hosts’ first sight of goal came when McLaughlin released Dawson down the right, but just as he was about to pull the trigger with just Gilks to beat, Robinson slid in to make a timely interception.

By the 10-minute mark Wilson’s men were beginning to get on top, and Shea volleyed over the top after meeting Kennedy’s teasing in-swinging corner-kick.

Blackpool - clearly a team devoid of much confidence following their awful run - gave the Reds a mighty scare in the 13th minute.

Midfield dynamo Ferguson curled in a tempting cross but an unmarked Basham planted a header over the top from only six yards.

The let-off seemed to rally the Reds who came close to breaking the deadlock with a rapid double opportunity.

O’Grady did superbly to drag a low cross into the danger zone from the tightest of angles, and after O’Brien had seen an initial cheeky back-heel saved by Gilks, a much more powerful drive from the wide-man was superbly beaten away by the ‘keeper.

O’Grady was proving a handful for the Blackpool and he was alsmost the provider on the half-hour mark.

He flicked a pass beautifully into path of the advancing Mellis, only for the former Chelsea youngster to see centre-back Cathcart charge in to intercept.

Sought-after manager’s son Ince then threatened to upset the Reds. The talented wide-man found himself in space with the ball at his feet, on the edge of the Barnsley box but blazed a shot over.

The Reds responded with a chance of their own, a long through-ball from O’Brien finding Mellis, but after taking the ball down superbly, he fired tamely at Gilks from the edge of the box.

Blackpool had the ball in the back of the net two minutes before the break, but Davies was clearly offside as he tucked home Basham’s low cross from the left.

The Reds responded in the best possible fashion by surging into the lead with the last kick of the first half.

O’Grady played in Dawson, and as the Reds’ midfielder tried to ease round ‘keeper Gilks, he was hauled down and referee Mr Lewis pointed straight to the spot.

Up stepped O’GRADY to slot home the spot-kick and Oakwell was buzzing as the whistle went immediately.

The Blackpool players were back out ive minutes before the hosts, presumably following a rollicking from boss Ince at the break.

The Seasiders had been poor and their plight deepened significantly three minutes after the restart as the Reds stormed further clear.

O’Brien produced some lovely trickery out on the left, before clipping in a peach of a cross for O’GRADY who completed the simple task of heading past Gilks to register his ninth goal of the season.

Two goals up and Blackpool seemingly shot of confidence - prospects were looking up for Barnsley.

It almost got even better for the Reds minutes later when Jennings slotted the ball into the net past Gilks, but unfortunately he had just drifted into an offside position as he charged in to meet O’Grady’s through-ball.

The hosts were looking comfortable, though there was another scare in the 63rd minute. Ince jinked his way into the Barnsley box and went tumbling under McLaughlin’s challenge, but the strong Blackpool appeals were waved away by the man in the middle, who had been well positioned.

The Reds shrugged off that fright by going up to the other end and almost scoring what would have been a killer third goal.

Mellis was afforded time and space just outside the Seasiders’ box, but he drove a shot straight at the grateful Gilks.