Reds FT: Barnsley 0 Bournemouth 1

Barnsley's 'Lewin Nyatanga heads narrowly wide for Barnsley against Bournemouth
Barnsley's 'Lewin Nyatanga heads narrowly wide for Barnsley against Bournemouth
Have your say

Barnsley’s relegation worries deepened today as they were beaten by a goal in the fourth minute of added time at home to Bournemouth.

Danny Wilson’s men hosted the Cherries looking to bounce back from back-to-back league defeats to Leicester City and Watford.

And Wilson’s misfiring team also went in search of their first goal in 289 minutes of open play.

Successive 3-0 losses have been hard to take for the struggling South Yorkshire outfit.

But Wilson made five changes as his side looked to avenge a 1-0 defeat to the Cherries from earlier in the season.

Striker O’Grady, one of the changes, had a shot on target after only 19 seconds. Some good work from midfielder Dawson allowed O’Grady to fathom a chance, but his shot was straight at Bournemouth keeper Camp.

Reds keeper Steele then denied Francis at the other end with a smart block in the sixth minute.

Winger Jennings whipped in a delightful ball two minutes later and striker Pedersen, making his first start for three months, headed over from close range.

Norway international striker Pedersen had another chance soon after, but his shot was deflected wide from a Jennings’ cross.

Dubliner Dawson rifled at Camp as the Reds continued to press, but then the Cherries went close to scoring.

Steele saved from Ritchie, but was lucky as the swerving ball nearly caught him out. Ritchie shot over less than 30 seconds later in what was a open contest between the two sides.

Fraser forced Steele to save low at his near post as the visitors pushed hard for the opening goal.

Surman should have scored, but he somehow fired wide with only Steele to beat. It was a big let-off for the Reds.

The Reds should have taken the lead in the 36th minute, but midfielder Woods failed to hit the target with the goal at his mercy.

Hunt and Ritchie were then both booked on the stroke of half-time after a tussle in the Cherries’ half.

From the resulting free-kick the visitors nearly scorer on the counter-attack.

Grabban’s deflected shot looked in, but Steele produced a fine fingertip save to spare his side’s blushes and leave it all to play for in the second half.

Wilson made a change at half-time as he replaced Hunt with Cywka. Polish midfielder Cywka slotted in on the right wing and Liverpool loan full-back McLaughlin dropped back to the right-back position.

And in the opening minute the Reds created a chance, but Pedersen’s looping header from a Jennings’ cross was comfortable for Camp.

Pedersen blazed high and wide from an acute angle after a route-one move from the Reds, while at the other end Fraser blasted well wide from distance to keep the hosts on their toes.

McLaughlin was then unlucky as his powerful shot was deflected wide for a corner after a lovely through-ball from Nyatanga.

The Reds should have taken the lead in the 65th minute, but Pedersen blazed high and wide when he should have done better.

O’Grady’s pass set his strike partner through on goal, but it was another wasted chance from the home side wasted chance from the home side.

Surman fired wide from distance as the Cherries nearly made use of some concerted pressure.

And with 13 minutes remaining Ritchie struck the underside of Steele’s crossbar with a powerful snapshot and the ball looked over the goalline. But the effort wouldn’t have counted though with Grabban deemed offside.

Nyatanga found himself booked for a clumsy challenge on the dangerous Grabban, while Steele saved well from Ritchie as the Cherries pressed for a late winner.

Then defender Ramage limped off with a reoccurrence of his hamstring injury and Frenchman M’voto came on to join Nyatanaga at the heart of the Reds’ defence.

Steele’s quick throw out saw Pedersen break on the counter, but his shot was blocked when he might have been better served passing the ball to a teammate.

Ritchie had another good chance to score, but he was again thwarted by the in-form Steele who had an afternoon to remember between the posts.

But with a point seemingly within Barnsley’s grasp it was Bournemouth who won it when COOK pounced from Harte’s corner to net the winner in the 94th minute. It was a cruel blow for the hosts.