Match Report: Barnsley go through in Capital One Cup after dramatic penalty shoot-out win over Scunthorpe

Kevin van Veen looks to acrobatically put Scunthorpe ahead against Barnsley
Kevin van Veen looks to acrobatically put Scunthorpe ahead against Barnsley
Have your say

What drama!

It was gripping entertainment until the very last kick as Barnsley claimed a thrilling penalty shootout victory to progress to the second round of the Capital One Cup.

James Bree slots home the winning penalty

James Bree slots home the winning penalty

Youngster James Bree was the Reds’ hero as Lee Johnson’s side clinched a breathtaking victory over the Iron as this exciting clash went the distance.

Eight spot-kicks were scored until substitute Kevin van Veen missed, but Ben Pearson failed to land the killer blow.

But when man-of–the-match Sean McAllister blazed over Bree kept his cool to slot home a sudden-death spot-kick to seal a nervewracking win.

Midfielder Josh Scowen had given the Reds a 47th minute lead after Marley Watkins had missed a 13th minute penalty.

But striker Paddy Madden equalised seven minutes after the break and the match went the distance after both sides wasted excellent chances to win it.

Johnson handed full debuts to three new players, with forward Watkins, Birmingham City loan goalkeeper Nick Townsend and Manchester United loan midfielder Joe Rothwell handed starting berths.

Bree also started having recovered from injury, while Sam Winnall, Conor Hourihane and Adam Davies were all dropped to the substitute’s bench.

Arsenal loan recruit Dan Crowley didn’t make the match-day squad, nor did sought after defender Mason Holgate.

Holgate is understood to be on the verge of a £500,000 move to Premier League Bournemouth. That move could happen within the next 24 hours.

On the pitch, however, the Reds started brightly and Scowen won a penalty after being fouled by Jack King in the 13th minute.

Watkins accepted the responsibility of the spot-kick, but the debutant saw his poor shot saved by Iron keeper Joe Anyon.

Four minutes later Rothwell rifled over from 25 yards as the Reds continued to hunt for the opener, while at the other end Townsend saved easily from former Yeovil Town marksman Madden’s ambitious long-range effort.

Rothwell went close with a stinging drive soon after, only for former Sheffield United striker Darius Henderson to test Townsend with a goalbound shot on his debut for his new club.

Madden had a goal ruled out for offside three minutes before the break and, just a minute later, was denied by a wonderful fingertip save from the on-song Townsend.

The Reds had the perfect start to the second half when Scowen put them ahead from the penalty spot after 47 minutes.

Bolton loan hit-man Conor Wilkinson was fouled by keeper Anyon and his team-mate Scowen coolly slotted home from the spot.

But no sooner had the Reds celebrated going ahead, than the home side were awarded a penalty of their own.

Defender and skipper Alfie Mawson was adjudged to have fouled David Mirfin and Madden stepped up to send Townsend the wrong way to level proceedings.

Madden wasted a glorious chance to put the Iron ahead after a goalmouth scramble, his close-range shot wide in the 79th minute.

Townsend spared the Reds’ blushes with a superb save from van Veen with two minutes remaining.

Madden should have won it injury time but he shot wide of Townsend’s near post.

But it was left to Bree to win it late, late on, with Winnall, Hourihane, Scowen, Mason and Roberts having cancelled out penalties from Madden, Hopper, Adelakun, Laird and Mirfin.

Meanwhile striker Mike Phenix has joined Conference Premier side Southport on loan until January 3.

Scunthorpe: Anyon, Clarke, Wiseman (Adelakun 80), King, Mirfin, Laird, Bishop, Dawson (van Veen 83), McAllister, Henderson (Hopper 69), Madden.

Subs: Watson, Goode, McSheffrey, Wootton.

Barnsley: Townsend, Scowen, Bree, Smith (Templeton 100), Roberts, Nyatanga, Rothwell (Hourihane 89), Watkins, Pearson, Wilkinson (Winnall 64), Mawson.

Subs: Davies, Maris, G Williams, Digby.

Referee: Graham Salisbury (Lancashire)

Attendance: 3,003 (734 away)