MATCH REPORT: Barnsley 2 Doncaster Rovers 2

Double up: Jason Euell scores his and Rovers' second.                Pictures: Steve Taylor
Double up: Jason Euell scores his and Rovers' second. Pictures: Steve Taylor
Have your say

A LATE equaliser by Kieran Trippier denied Doncaster Rovers all three points in an entertaining Championship derby at Oakwell.

Rovers had looked to be on course for their first win in almost two months after on-loan striker Jason Euell had bagged a brace.

Barnsley  twice came back and celebrate Kieran Trippier's equaliser.                Pictures: Steve Taylor

Barnsley twice came back and celebrate Kieran Trippier's equaliser. Pictures: Steve Taylor

Rovers showed three changes to the side held to a goalless draw by Crystal Palace on Good Friday with Sam Hird, Ryan Mason and James Hayter coming in for the injured Mustapha Dumbuya, Brian Stock and Franck Moussa.

The Reds lacked on-loan striker Marlon Harewood, injured in Saturday’s 1-0 defeat at Watford – youngster Reuben Noble-Lazarus coming in for his first home start.

Rovers’ keeper Gary Woods couldn’t hold on to a low shot by Noble-Lazarus on four minutes and the visitors were relieved to scramble the ball clear.

Barnsley keeper Luke Steele did well to keep out a header by Hayter who then shot over when well placed after the Reds had failed to clear the danger from a James Coppinger corner.

Rovers’ second top scorer also shot wide of the post from the edge of the area less than two minutes later.

Barnsley’s Jacob Millis, who drilled his shot wide of the far post, also failed to hit the target from just outside the area after getting away down the right.

Trippier also made a good run before being halted on the edge of Rovers’ box.

Noble-Lazarus did well to get a 20 yard shot away under pressure on 21 minutes, but the ball sailed over the crossbar.

Rovers ‘ pleas for a penalty, after Mason had taken a tumble just inside the area, fell upon deaf ears.

John Oster was nowhere near with a 25 yard free-kick on 27 minutes.

Danny Haynes couldn’t control the ball enough to get a shot on goal after getting on the end of a left-wing cross by Jacob Butterfield in front of goal on the half-hour.

Woods did well to keep out a low 25 yarder by Nathan Doyle at the expense of a corner.

Matt Hill just failed to convert a long ball by Trippier then Steele produced a superb save to deny Hayter what looked to be a certain goal on 38 minutes. Doyle shot wide with a long-range effort on 42 minutes as the play continued to swing from end to end.

A cracking 25 yard effort by Noble-Lazarus was deflected for a corner.

Andy Gray hit the back of the net within three minutes of the restart but the flag was already up.

Reds centre-back Stephen Foster shot over with a half chance on the edge of the six-yard box on 53 minutes.

A close-range effort by Hayter at the near post from Hird’s cross was deflected for a corner.

Rovers remained on the attack and took the lead on 58 minute. Mason’s shot hit Coppinger in the box and he did well to knock the ball into Euell’s path and he netted from about ten yards to give Rovers a deserved lead.

Noble-Lazarus continued to threaten and he won the Reds a 69th minute from which Foster headed home to level the scores.

Rovers made a change before play resumed, Neil Sullivan taking over in goal for the injured Woods.

Mason got a 25 yarder on target but Steele had it covered all the way.

Rovers regained the lead on 72 minutes – Euell tapping into an empty net after Steele had fumbled Oster’s shot.

Steele did much better when blocking a fierce shot by Mason.

Barnsley drew level for a second time on 87 minutes with a superb Trippier strike from a controversial free-kick just outside the box.

Barnsley: Steele 7 Trippier 7 Foster 7 Shackell 7 Hill 7 Haynes *** 7 Mellis * 6 Doyle 7 Butterfield 7 Gray 7 Noble-Lazurus **7 Subs Preece O’Brien Hassell * 62 Clark ** 75 McEveley Arismendi Rose *** 80

Rovers: G Woods 7 Hird 7 Thomas ***8 Friend 7 O’Connor 7 Coppinger 7 Oster 7 Mason ** 7 Hayter 7 Euell *** 7 Subs: Sullivan * 71 Wilson ** 88 Shiels Brooker *** 88 Souza Moussa Kilgallon

Goals: Barnsley: Foster (69), Trippier (87). Rovers: Euell (58, 72)

Referee: Peter Walton

Bookings: Haynes, Butterfield (Barnsley), O’Connor (Rovers).

Attendance: 12, 418.