Full time: Cardiff City 5 Barnsley 3

Tykes: Barnsley latest news.
Tykes: Barnsley latest news.
Have your say

barnsley suffered a heavy away defeat in Cardiff despite two late goals making the score look more respectable than perhaps it should have been.

The Reds travelled to Wales looking to make it third time lucky having been unbeaten at the City of Cardiff Stadium for the last two years.

The Bluebirds were quicker to the tackle, though, and they soon took the lead after Barnsley were caught sleeping.

Midfielder Doyle carelessly gave the ball away deep in his own half and, after Cowie had tried his luck with a low drive, Scottish international hitman MILLER was on hand to poke home to give the hosts a deserved lead.

Mason was clumsily felled by Edwards who, having brought down the striker, was lucky to not be sent off.

And from the resulting free-kick the hosts did bag their second goal of the afternoon. Steele did well to save Whittingham’s curling free-kick, but he could only parry the powerful effort and MASON was on hand to poke home for his first Cardiff goal. The Reds were all over the place. But within two minutes and the Reds had found their way back into the contest thanks to a long-range free-kick from midfielder DRINKWATER.

The Manchester United loan youngsters’ 30-yard drive looked to have took a deflection as it flew past Bluebirds keeper Marshall.

But no sooner had the Reds pulled a goal back, than Cardiff went 3-1 up with GUNNARSSON making amends for his earlier miss.

Hill made three changes at the break, clearly unhappy with his side’s first half showing. Edwards, Perkins and O’Brien were replaced by McEveley, Davies and Vaz Te as the Reds reverted to a more conventional 4-4-2 formation.

McEveley went to left-back, McNulty moved to centre-back, with Davies asked to play up front alongside Gray. Vaz Te replaced O’Brien wide on the right wing.

Cardiff had a penalty appeal turned down after Mason went down from a strong challenge from McNulty, but soon put the contest out of reach when COWIE latched on to a perfect through ball, rounded Steele and netted the hosts’ fourth goal of the afternoon on the hour mark.

The afternoon got even worse for the Reds as GUNNARSSON scored his second goal of the game, firing home in the 71st minute after some more shambolic defending from the visitors.

MCNULTY snatched a consolation, slotting home from a Butterfield corner with nine minutes left. Sub VAZ TE made for a frantic finish when he volleyed home from a Davies pull-back to make it 5-3 with four minutes left for his second goal in two games.

For the full report see the Green ‘Un tonight, Saturday October 22.