Tykes: Barnsley latest news.
Tykes: Barnsley latest news.
Have your say

Barnsley denied victory by late Blues goal

JACOB Butterfield looked to have earnt Barnsley a precious three points away to promotion-fancied Birmingham, but the skipper’s 33rd minute opener was cancelled out by an 86th minute equaliser by Chris Burke.

A point for the Reds was at least what the deserved as they extended their impressive unbeaten run to five matches with a third successive 1-1 draw.

Barnsley travelled to Birmingham looking for their first away win at St Andrews since May 2000.

Injuries were a problem for the Reds with seven first team players out injured, but Hill was still able to field a strong starting XI with second-year scholars Rose and Clark included on the substitutes’ bench.

And the Reds were forced to make a change on the half hour mark after Done limped off having seemingly aggravated the hamstring injury which has recently sidelined him.

But that gave the chance for Hoyland youngster Clark to impress.

Clark had an immediate impact as he combined well with Butterfield and the skipper had a left-foot rocket brilliantly turned past his right post by the outstretched Myhill.

And then just a minute later Butterfield got on the scoresheet with a long-range firecracker that left Myhill no chance.

A minute after the hour mark O’Brien whipped the ball out wide for substitute Clark and, after a nice piece of skill, the 18-year-old cut inside his marker and forced a good point-blank save from Myhill. It could have easily been 2-0 to the Reds.

The hosts started to play with more confidence after the introduction of substitute Zigic who came close to bagging an equaliser.

The striker saw his close-range right-foot shot superbly blocked by Foster, before King had a header saved on the line by Steele, the first time the keeper had been tested all afternoon.

At the other end Drinkwater drilled a 30-yard thunderbolt against the woodwork with Myhill well beaten. It would have been a superb goal if it had gone in.

Burke snatched an equaliser for the home side with four minutes left after some good pressure. Ridgewell did well to keep the ball in play and, after the Reds failed to close down, the ball landed invitingly for Burke to curl into the bottom left-hand corner.

The Reds were under the cosh and in the final minute of the game King turned brilliantly and struck the right post with a sweet strike which had Steele beaten.

For a full match report, see the Green’Un.