Tykes: Barnsley latest news.
Tykes: Barnsley latest news.
Have your say

BARNSLEY fell to a late goal at Oakwell by Bristol City.

Barnsley boss Keith Hill challenged his side to bounce back with a brave performance at home to basement side City.

The Robins came to Oakwell having lost their last five Championship matches and having won just once all season in the league.

And so it was understandable Hill wanted his team to take advantage of the visitors’ poor form, a great chance to respond following their own 5-3 defeat to Cardiff City last Saturday.

And it was the Reds who started the better with, in the sixth minute, winger O’Brien causing problems wide on the right and unlucky to see his right-foot shot deflected wide for a corner.

The visitors were starting to control the play and were rewarded with the opening goal in the 14th minute after some good work between Maynard and Adomah.

It was ADOMAH who got it, side-footing home into an empty net after Maynard had been the offside trap from a lovely through ball from midfielder Kilkenny.

The Robins should have doubled their lead just four minutes later when midfielder Woolford avoided a lunge from McNulty, fed Maynard with a clever inside pass, only for the striker to kick the floor and end up flat on his stomach having missed the chance to fire into an empty net. It was a glaring miss and understandably greeted with ironic cheers from the Reds’ fans in the CK Beckett Stand.

Substitute DAVIES had been on the pitch for just 16 minutes when he bagged a welcome equaliser for the hosts after a lovely flowing move in the 74th minute.

Perkins picked out McEveley who, after a fine over-lapping run on the inside left channel, picked out Davies to slot home into the bottom left-hand corner.And the Reds could have been ahead moments later when Perkins set up Davies, but the striker poked wide at the near post.

Steele pulled off a brilliant save to deny Elliott from long range with three minutes remaining, but the hosts conceded a deflating late goal.MAYNARD was gifted far too much time on the edge of the Reds’ box and rifled into the top left-hand corner to win it for only their second win of the season.

For a full report, see the Green’Un