FT: Huddersfield 5 Barnsley 0

Barnsley's Nick Proschwitz in action against Huddersfield.
Barnsley's Nick Proschwitz in action against Huddersfield.
Have your say

The Reds went to the John Smith’s Stadium looking to register their first back-to-back victories in nearly 12 months - but it was not to be as they were crushed by the Terriers.

A league double over the Terriers, whom they beat 2-1 earlier in the season at Oakwell, could see Barnsley climb out of the relegation zone for the first time this season.

Wilson’s men started brightly and dominated the opening spell of possession, but were nearly caught out on the counter-attacker but for a fine last-ditch goal line clearance from Ramage.

But it was the Terriers who took the lead on the half hour mark.

SOUTHERN took advantage of some slack defending to net his first goal of the season.

Ward provided the assist and Southern couldn’t miss with a tap-in from close range.

And then to rub salt into a gaping wound the Reds conceded a second goal less than three minutes later.

It was WARD who got it, for his seventh goal of the season, with another close-range finish after the Reds’ defence were caught out at the near post.

Keeper Steele then kept the Reds in the contest with a wonderful save from Wells who took advantage of some more poor defending.

Steele thwarted former Reds’ target Norwood from distance as the home side looked to kill off the fixture before half-time.

And no wonder Reds’ boss Wilson looked frustrated on the touchline with his team having been the brighter in the opening exchanges before some trademark poor defending cost them dear.

Hunt then had a chance to pull a goal back just before the break, but his left-foot shot flew wide of the target.

Wells nearly profited from a mix-up between Steele and Ramage who ended up in a tangle. The ball ran free and Wells lifted the ball towards goal, but his effort agonisingly landed on the top of the net. It was another big let-off for the visitors who needed to re-group at the break to stand any chance of getting back into the contest.

Hammill went within a whisker of the third goal in first-half injury-time, but his powerful strike flew just wide of Steele’s near post.

The Reds had the worst possible start to the second half when some lacklustre defending ultimately cost them the match barring a magnificent comeback.

And it was former player HAMMILL who lashed in from close-range for his second goal of the season.

Wells tormented Ramage and the ball eventually fell free for the ex-Liverpool winger Hammill to fire home.

Former Arsenal midfielder Frimpong was then denied a goal after a fine save from Smithies, the keeper having had very little to do up until then.

Wilson brought on loan winger Shea, but the visitors were soon 4-0 down and the match was well and truly over.

Steele brought down Wells in the box and CLAYTON made no mistake from the penalty spot. It was getting embarrassing for the out-of-sorts Reds. Wilson brought on Northern Ireland international midfielder McCourt shortly after the hour mark to add some spark, but by then the damage had been done.

Frimpong rifled wide from distance as the Reds continued to look for some respite, but the Terriers were dominant and Wilson’s men were left playing for some pride.

Just to compound the Reds’ miserable afternoon, substitute SCANNELL lashed home from distance and beat Steele to find the bottom left-hand corner. It summed up a terrible day at the office for Wilson’s charges.

Kennedy was then caught in possession and another substitute, Lolley, raced clear and had a shot deflected wide.

The Reds were in tatters and it was a case of damage limitation with five different scorers on the scoresheet for the home side.