Barnsley have vowed to bide their time in the transfer market as they look to put together a squad capable of winning promotion next season.
The Reds will be competing in the third tier of English football when the new Football League season gets underway on August 9 following eight years in the Championship.
Manager Danny Wilson and chief executive Ben Mansford plan on meeting potential recruits later this week as the Oakwell outfit begin to rebuild.
“Whilst we want to do our business early, we also want to do the right business to make sure our budget gets as much quality and goes as far it can,” said Mansford, who has also confirmed clubs have inquired about striker Chris O’Grady. “We know what players are out there and we know we are not going to get everyone on our list. We might not get our first choice so it is a waiting game. There is better value as we go along.”
Mansford, who has previously worked as a sports solicitor at Walker Morris in Leeds and an agent and adviser at Wasserman Media Group, says a “lot of activity” is happening behind the scenes regarding squad recruitment.
“We’ve got to recruit the squad, support Danny [Wilson] and make sure that come the start of the season we bring in players who want to be with our football club and will improve us,” insisted Mansford.
The Reds chief has confirmed midfielder Stephen Dawson has turned down their contract offer and is likely to leave when his contract runs out at the start of July. The Dubliner has played 86 times for the Reds since arriving from Leyton Orient over two years ago.
Mansford said: “We made an offer that we felt was right and was in keeping with where we are at and Stephen’s representative sent us an email saying that offer was rejected. We move on.
“We don’t want anybody who doesn’t want to be at Barnsley and isn’t happy coming into work every day here.”
The Reds are still waiting to learn whether Jacob Mellis, Jim O’Brien and Tomasz Cywka will pen new contracts.