Barnsley FT: Burnley 1 Reds 0

Burnley's Kieran Trippier holds up Barnsley's Tomasz Cywka
Burnley's Kieran Trippier holds up Barnsley's Tomasz Cywka
Have your say

Barnsley were unable to repeat the cracking win at Brighton as they were pipped at Burnley.

After the trauma of the David Flitcroft sacking a week earlier, caretaker boss Mellon and coach Paul Heckingbottom again took to the Reds’ dugout, this time at Turf Moor.

High-flying Burnley remained unbeaten at home, but their recent mini-blip will have given Barnsley more than a glimmer of hope - particularly after the heroics at Brighton, when the Reds - though remaining in the bottom spot won at the Amex Stadium to register their first away success since February.

Mellon’s men were facing a tall order as they were bidding to secure back-to-back wins for the first time since March, and they almost got off to the worst possible start.

Less than two minutes had gone when Shackell played a hopeful ball to Vokes who bore down menacingly on goal but screwed a shot wide.

A minute later Vokes’s volley from much further out fizzed just over the top.

Finally the Reds settled and after some trickery down the left flank and a neat pull-back from Cywka, McCourt fired in a weak shot which ‘keeper Heaton saved.

McCourt found more space before smashing a shot over from 20 yards, before the Clarets hit back in a real end-to-end opening 10 minutes. Burnley wide-man Jones crashed in a sweetly-struck shot which Butland had to palm away to safety.

At the other end Cywka, Etuhu and McCourt were looking lively and Etuhu produced the next attempt when he saw a piledriver bravely blocked by Shackell.

The Reds had Burnley pinned back fora five-minute spell, but were unable to make it count.

The visitors were almost punished when Trippier floated a cross into the danger zone for Ings, but his glancing header drifted a whisker past the post.

The Reds created their clearest opening when Tudgay played a slide-rule pass perfectly into Cywka’s path, only for the onrushing wing-man to fire a low shot straight at Heaton.

The visitors fluffed a presentable opportunity in the when, with the Clarets’ defence static, Wiseman’s low cross found its way to Cywka at the far post, who blazed a shot well over.

Next to try his luck was McCourt, who latched on to Mellis’s through-ball before seeing a shot deflected narrowly wide for a corner which came to nothing.

Kennedy curled in a free-kick which Heaton saved comfortably, but the Reds had been good value for parity. Arfield drove a shot narrowly over for Burnley.


Burnley............ 0


Neither side made changes for the start of the second period, with the message from Reds caretaker boss Mellon presumably being ‘keep it going’.

The Clarets enjoyed much the better of the opening quarter-of-an-hour, though.

Presumably after a stern talking-to from Dyche, the hosts upped the tempo significantly, with Ings heading just over from a Trippier cross.

Ings then almost broke the deadlock when he fired in an acrobatic scissor-kick which flew inches past Butland’s post.

As the hour mark came and went, the Reds were now more and more up against it, with the home supporters smelling blood.

The Reds finally cracked in the 65th minute.

Old boy Trippier played a neat pass to KIGHTLY, and the Burnley midfielder skipped past Ramage before slotting confidently past Butland from just inside the box.

The goal had been coming, and now the Reds were facing a real test of character.

Cywka saw a 30-yard free-kick tipped over the top brilliantly by Heaton, but time was now against the Reds.

Sub Scotland came close in the dying minutes when he forced Heaton into a smart near-post stop, but Burnley were still looking strong and Arfield ran at the defence before Butland had to be called into the action with a brave save.

Scotland’s deflected effort went wide in stoppage-time, and the Reds’ hopes of securing a precious point, sadly went with it as Burnley went back to the top of the table.