Barnsley 2-1 Brighton FT

Barnsley's Jason Scotland celebrates scoring during the Championship match at Oakwell
Barnsley's Jason Scotland celebrates scoring during the Championship match at Oakwell
Share this article
Have your say

LUKE Steele was the hero for Barnsley tonight.

He defied a late penalty and ensured the Reds took all three points in their fight against relegation.

It was a night when records were broken: The Tykes made history by becoming the first club to play 3,000 games in second level of league football.

That statistic mattered little for David Flitcroft’s side - three points in the bag was what really mattered to them.

And they managed it despite the late scare.

Reds midfielder Stephen Dawson was on the bench after missing nearly two months with an ankle injury.

Midfielder Jacob Mellis, defender Rory Delap and winger Jim O’Brien were recalled to the side.

And it took just 14 minutes for the home side to go ahead.

Thirty four year old striker Jason Scotland scored from inside the penalty box for 1-0, after good work from Chris O’Grady.

Scotland had another chance, but it was saved by Tomasz Kuszczak.

David Perkins received a yellow card for unsporting behaviour as the Reds pressed Brighton and tried to dominate the play.

While Will Buckley had a half chance for the visitors, the Reds deserved the half time lead.

Perkins threatened the Seagulls’ defence in the second half but Barnsley were finding it hard to add another to make the result more secure.

And Brighton punished them on 59 minutes.

Argentinian striker Jose Ulloa headed home from inside the penalty area.

The Yorkshiremen bounced back almost straight away, with a penalty from Scouse substitute Chris Dagnall.

Barnsley had Steele to thank for retaining the lead, he made a superb save from Kazenga LuaLua who had fired in a 20 yarder.

And Kazenga Lualua flashed an attempt wide as Brighton looked for an equaliser.

But Luke was the hero again on 82 minutes, when he saved a spot kick from Ulloa to preserve the lead.


Barnsley: Steele, Wiseman, Cranie, Kennedy, O’Brien, Etuhu, Perkins, Mellis, Delap, Scotland, O’Grady.

Subs: Lidakevicius, Hassell, Cywka, Tunnicliffe, Dawson, Dagnall, Harewood.

Brighton: Kuszczak, Bruno, Hammond, Orlandi, El-Abd, Calderon, Upson, Lopez, Bridcutt, Ulloa, Buckley

Subs: Ankergren, Greer, Crofts, Dicker, Lualua, Barker, Forster-Caskey.

Referee: Mark Heywood (Cheshire).

Att: 7,869. (369 away.)

Read Neil Goulding’s analysis in Wednesday’s Star.