Woodhouse gets back on track with knock-out

Boxing at The Magna Centre.....Curtis Woodhouse in action in his victory over Billy Smith
Boxing at The Magna Centre.....Curtis Woodhouse in action in his victory over Billy Smith
Have your say

CURTIS Woodhouse got his career back on track with a knockout win over Billy Smith at Rotherham’s Magna Centre.

The former Blades midfielder turned light-welterweight, looked determined to end the fight early and he landed shots to the body and head in the opening rounds.

The punch that ended the fight was a right to the temple in the second that caught the journeyman flush. Smith touched down and had no desire to beat referee Michael Alexander’s count.

Although Smith now has 92 defeats to his name, this was only the eighth time he’s been stopped. Woodhouse’s last fight was seven months ago, when he was outpointed by Peter McDonagh.

Sheffield’s light-welter Jerome ‘Wipeout’ Wilson lost his unbeaten record to former Woodhouse foe Jay Morris.

Morris has been a thorn in David Coldwell’s side before, after he put the first dent into Woodhouse’s record back in 2009, and his wily tactics against Wilson saw him edge a points decision 39-38.

It was a quick start from Wilson and a cut did appear on Morris’ forehead in the opening round. Morris, though turned to bully boy tactics in the second and caught Wilson with low blows on the referee’s blind side, as well as frustrating Wilson with holding.

This pattern continued into the last two rounds with Wilson ignoring trainer Coldwell’s pleas to box the Isle of Wight veteran and although Wilson had looked the aggressor in the fight it was Morris’ hand that was raised at the end.

There was another disappointing result for Rotherham’s Navid Mansouri.

The light-middleweight never got going against Birmingham’s Dee Mitchell and could only manage a 57-57 draw.

Mansouri touched down in the second, following an overhand right from Mitchell, but the six rounder allowed him time enough to preserve his unbeaten record by winning the latter rounds.

Wayne Reed bounced back from his Prizefighter defeat with a Sheffield derby win over Dean Walker. Reed took the fight at short notice against friend Walker and was hungry to make an impression.

He ignored Walker’s invitation to touch gloves after the bell, instead swinging a right at Walker. The aggression continued through the rounds and he punished Walker in the mid-section numerous times on his way to a 60-55 win.

Neil Beevers claimed his first title as a pro by stopping Sean McKervey three rounds into their British Masters Title match at the Barnsley Metrodome.

The Wombwell welterweight, 27, proved to be too big and strong for southpaw McKervey and referee Michael Alexander stepped in to end the contest after a furious Beevers’ onslaught left McKervey reeling.

Beevers marched forward from the off and launched a body attack on the fleshier looking Coventry man. The fight carried on much in the same way before the clash of styles resulted in a cut on Beevers’ right eye in the third. Undeterred though, Beevers kept up his attack and earned the stoppage moments later.

Beevers will now go for the Central Area Title and trainer Mick Wale believes he can be a real force in the division.

“This is his first fight down at this weight and I’ve created a monster!

“We all know he’s not the most technically gifted, but if he plays to his brute strength he’ll give anyone bother.

There were wins for all three other Barnsley lads on the bill. Ross Blackwell, 18, took his chance at redemption by outpointing journeyman Delroy Spencer.

The Wombwell youngster failed to beat Spencer in his previous encounter but was much more convincing this time around, earning the decision by a point.

Stairfoot’s Matthew Mallin, 20, was almost his own worst enemy. He was cruising against Welshman Gary Cooper and had the first three rounds in the bag thanks to some showy uppercuts.

Mallin though, let down his guard in the last 40 seconds and was caught cleanly. Dazed, he clung onto Cooper and managed to just hang on to win the bout 39-37.

Jonny Musgrave, 28, outpointed Richard Troupe 39-37.

There was also a win for Doncaster’s Gavin McDonnell, 25.

Watched ringside by his twin, European champion Jamie, Gavin was the dominant force in his four rounder with Adam Hutchinson claiming a 40-35 win.

McDonnell forced a count in the final round and caught Hutchinson regularly with left hooks to earn his third straight win.