Wale clinches Masters title

editorial image
Have your say

THERE was only one new British Masters champion crowned on Sunday afternoon instead of the forecasted two.

At bantamweight Josh Wale edged out South African Michael Ramabeletsa, but cruiserweight Jon Ibbotson was beaten by Hari Miles at the Barnsley Metrodome.

Wale boxed in a controlled manner and took the opening four rounds comfortably. Ramabeletsa appeared more game in the middle rounds and started to edge his way back. Wale’s face was beginning to flare up from the shots but it didn’t noticeably restrain him as he saw the bout out with a 96-94 scoreline.

All didn’t appear well afterwards though with Wale barely celebrating and instead heading back to the dressing room. Manager Carl Greaves explained: “He said that he’s got a problem with his teeth and his face is messed up a bit so the doctor is having a look.”

Ibbotson started well against Welshman Hari Miles but the visitor did start to come back into it as the fight wore on. ‘Ibbo’ was probably spending too much time on the ropes during rounds and didn’t appear to be in control despite landing the better of the shots. Both men were confident of winning the title but it was Miles whose hand was raised with the referee scoring the contest 97-94.

Debutant Sheffielder Ryan Hardy put in a brave performance to beat Chris Jenkinson from Bolton.

After coming under heavy fire in the latter stages, a sharp left hook sunk Jenkinson to the canvas and the knockdown helped him to secure a points win.

Stairfoot’s Matthew Mallin was victorious against Chris’ twin brother Simon.

Mallin boxed the better of the two but missed quite a few times when in the ascendancy. He won 39-38.

Lee Noble was also boxing in his hometown and he beat Steve Spence with a shutout.

At Hillsborough on Friday night, super-middleweight Wayne Reed put down Elvis Dube on the way to a 60-53 win.

Reed had used his southpaw stance to outwit Dube in the opening stages. But Dube, well behind on points, came out in the sixth round with more aggression and fire was met by fire when a thunderous left from Reed sent the Derby man rocking to the canvas.

Reed then went looking for the stoppage and was caught a few times before the final bell.

Lightweight Ben Wager stopped Russell Pearce for his first career win.

The Monk Bretton youngster smashed the Welshman with big shots to the body that forced him to touch down. A wincing Pearce couldn’t get back up in time with just 1:53 on the clock in the first round.