Sheffield world champion Kell Brook storms to six round stoppage - but Ross Burkinshaw loses

Frankie Gavin (left) and Kell Brook in their IBF World welterweight title fight at the O2 Arena, London.
Frankie Gavin (left) and Kell Brook in their IBF World welterweight title fight at the O2 Arena, London.
Have your say

Sheffield fighter Kell “the Special One” Brook comfortably extended his record to 35 wins in the all-British bout against Birmingham’s Gavin, 29, at London’s O2 Arena tonight.

Brook had an easy night in retaining the IBF welterweight title that he so dramatically won in California in August last year and defended in March at Sheffield Arena.

Kell Brook (left) and Frankie Gavin in their IBF World welterweight title fight at the O2 Arena, London..

Kell Brook (left) and Frankie Gavin in their IBF World welterweight title fight at the O2 Arena, London..

Brook was the more assertive in the first couple of rounds which were untidy at times, mainly due to the clash of orthodox and southpaw styles.

But by round three he was dominating and catching his man with a range of shots to head and body.

Gavin was on the back foot - and offering little.

In round six, Gavin was on the end of a sustained beating on the ropes, the referee stepping in.

Kell Brook

Kell Brook

Despite all his pre-fight bravado, the Brummie turned out to be several levels below the Ecclesfield champ.

Brook said: “I always knew it would be tricky.

“I knew it was going to be scrappy. He’s awkward, he’s crafty, he’s smart.

“I knew I had to take my time, but I knew it was a matter of time until I nailed him.

“I could see he was tiring and I was landing heavy shots, so I knew it was only a matter of time.

“I was testing my skills out and I got it done. Now I want to move on from this.”

Talk of a contest with Amir Khan were now “boring” he said.

A clash with Brandon Rios, possibly at Bramall Lane, could be next for the Sheffield United follower.

* Doncaster referee Howard Foster attracted some criticism for stopping a British middleweight championship fight on the 02 bill, when Nick Blackwell was punishing John Ryder.

It did appear a premature stoppage at first, but replays showed Ryder had lowered his hands and, arguably, was no longer able to protect himself.

Foster, whose priority is rightly to avoid any serious injury, courted controversy when he stopped the first Carl Froch and George Groves battle.

Froch, commentating on Sky TV, said Ryder seemed “out on his feet” when Foster intervened, while colleague and former Sheffield world champion Johnny Nelson deemed it “a bit early.”

*At the Magna Centre, Beighton’s recently-improved bantamweight Ross Burkinshaw was involved in a pulsating toe-to-toe battle with Klass Mboyane, from South Africa, for the WBO Inter-Continental title.

Burkinshaw seemed glad to see the bell at the end of the fourth after getting hurt with a body shot - but the contest was stopped through injury, to his elbow.

Burkinshaw looked gutted, but clearly could not go on.

His chance of moving towards a WBO title have taken a significant reverse.

Burkinshaw later admitted that he’d not listened to his trainer, Ryan Rhodes, and had got drawn into a war - something he had done in the past, at his cost.

The fighter suggested he might retire - but that was discounted by promoter Dennis Hobson.

*Lee Selby became Wales’ 12th world champion with a classy technical decision win over IBF featherweight holder Evgeny Gradovich on the London card.

Selby’s outboxed Gradovich before the fight was halted in the eighth due to a bad cut near the champion’s eye. Because the cut was caused by a clash of heads, the verdict went to the scorecard, where Selby was a clear victor with scores of 79-73, 80-72 and 79-73.

* Kevin Mitchell suffered heroic heartache in his third world title shot as WBC lightweight champion Jorge Linares bludgeoned him to a 10th round stoppage loss in a bloody battle.

The West Ham supporter was desperate to claim world honours five years after his wayward lifestyle cost him dearly when he wasted his shot at the interim WBO title in a three-round collapse against Michael Katsidis at Upton Park.

Mitchell was given another opportunity in 2012 but was stopped in the fourth round by Ricky Burns in Glasgow.

He gave everything against Venezuelan Linares and seemed well ahead in the fight despite his face looking in a bad state. But it became too much by the 10th as he was forced to take a knee and the fight was stopped.

Heavyweight Anthony Joshua stopped Kevin Johnson in round two of a one-sided beating.

READ MORE: Click here for all the latest news from the boxing scene