Sheffield boxer Liam Cameron wins despite fighting for 10 rounds with a broken hand

Liam Cameron, left, on his way to victory over Tobias Webb
Liam Cameron, left, on his way to victory over Tobias Webb
Have your say

Sheffield’s former ABA champion Liam Cameron fought through the pain barrier to beat Swansea’s Tobias Webb at Hillsborough Leisure Centre on Saturday night.

He suffered a broken right hand in the first round but emerged a unanimous ten round points winner over his tattooed opponent.

Forced to alter his punching style somewhat, and regularly switching to a southpaw stance, Liam stayed calm behind the jab and ultimately ran out victorious in what was a British super-middleweight title eliminator, the three scoring judges, Doncaster’s Mike Alexander, Fleetwood’s Steve Gray and Liverpool’s Mark Lyson having him ahead by scores of 97-94, 97-93 and 98-93 respectively.

There was a victory too for Dronfield’s Lewis Taylor who in an eliminator for the English middleweight title, against Sunderland’s Jonson McClumpha claimed a technical decision win when, a cut to McClumpha’s left eyebrow, suffered in an accidental head clash in the first round, worsened significantly towards the end of the fifth round.

Referee Alexander deemed the injury sufficiently severe enough as to warrant an inspection by the ringside doctor prior to the sixth round and the bout was subsequently waved off with Taylor, who had bossed proceedings from the second round onwards, 49-46 ahead on the referee’s scorecard.

Sheffield flyweight Waleed Din, another ex-ABA champ, encountered little by way of trouble as he moved to 4-0 as a pro with a shut-out 40-36 four round win over Gateshead’s Gary Reeve.

Already ahead, Waleed, mixing it up nicely, upped the pace significantly late in the second round and his shaven headed opponent, increasingly under fire, was limited to the odd single shot by way of reply.

Well supported bantamweight Ramzy Nassa looked a shade fortunate to get the nod at the end of another four rounder against game Slovakian, Elemir Rafael.

Referee Alexander had Ramzy, who whilst having to work off the back foot for long spells, was that bit more precise, a 39-37 winner at the final bell but several seasoned ringsiders felt Rafael, taking part in his 119th paid contest, had maybe done enough to earn a draw.

Top of the bill action saw Liverpool’s Ryan Farrag secure the vacant English bantamweight title with a seventh round stoppage of Bristol’s outgunned Ashley Lane.

Despite turning in gutsy performances in ten round contests at Blackpool’s Hilton Hotel on Friday night, Sheffield pair Sam Matkin and Ryan Hardy both fell to points losses, Matkin going down 99-92 to Liverpool’s tall Nathan Brough in a contest for the vacant Central Area light-welterweight title whilst Hardy slipped to a 98-94 defeat at the hands of Kirkham’s unbeaten Adam Little in a tussle for the vacant Central Area welterweight crown.