Sharrow footballer dedicates win to stricken boxing brother Jerome

Jerome Wilson in action against Serge Ambomo
Jerome Wilson in action against Serge Ambomo
Have your say

It was an emotionally- charged day for Sharrow United’s long-serving player Marvin Wilson.

The defender helped his side to a 2-1 win over Swallownest Miners Welfare at the weekend, less than 48 hours after learning his 29-year-old brother, boxer Jerome, had suffered a serious head injury after being knocked out by Sege Ambomo at iceSheffield.

Sharrow United's  marvin wilson (winning an header) the brother of boxer jerome wilson who is 'in a coma .

Sharrow United's marvin wilson (winning an header) the brother of boxer jerome wilson who is 'in a coma .

Marvin dedicated the win to Jerome, who often comes along to watch Marvin play for Sharrow, before dashing off to visit Jerome in hospital on the final whistle.

Sharrow took the lead on 33 minutes through Watheq Al-Hakam. The visitors put Sharrow under pressure with a series of long throws after the break, one of which inevitably brought the equaliser on 58 minutes as Robin Holmes tucked the ball away after a frantic scramble.

But Sharrow grabbed the winner to go second in Division One, when Al-Hakam squared the ball to substitute Asim Shazad to drill home from 10 yards 15 minutes from time.

Early pacesetters SWD edged to a 3-2 win against Intake Ball Inn with a Wayne Garrity hat-trick.

The home side almost threw it away after leading 3-0 before Intake rallied pulling two goals back .

Relegated Wadsley Bridge WMC picked up their first point of the season from a 2-2 draw with Jack-in-a-Box, after goals from Keiron Goff and Louis Bradshaw had cancelled out a David Gelsthorpe brace.

Handsworth Turf Tavern are the new leaders of the Premier Division, following a comprehensive 4-0 win at Arundel ESC which saw them leapfrog Hackenthorpe on goal-difference.

A Tom Beevor brace put Handsworth 2-0 up, before Jordan Stocks’ superb 30-yard free-kick on 73 minutes made it three.

Chris James added a fourth in the final minute.

Last season’s runners up, Rawson Spring, finally got their season underway with a 3-2 victory over Royal Earl.

Rawson twice led through an own-goal and a Jack Poulton strike, but the visitors hit back through Matt Ord and Tom Roebuck efforts before Brandon Cardwell’s 70th-minute header proved decisive.

Sheffield Sportsman pulled off a 4-0 win at Players Lounge. Kinglsey Hinds, Lee Savage, Alex Hague and a David Goudge penalty giving Sportsman maximum points from three outings and top spot in Division Two.

Woodhouse JFC, with a 100 per cent record from three games, are kept off top on goal-difference despite romping to a 9-1 home win against Ridgeway Athletic.

Scorers were Aaron Hatfield 3, Jamie Ashton 2, Henry Bradshaw, Tom Bland, Callum O’Kane and Dan Matthews. Ridgeway’s reply was a Joe Walker free-kick.

Millmoor Juniors are setting the early pace in the Under-21 Division after coming from behind to beat Champs 6-2. Billy Smith scored a stylish hat-trick and Chris Simpkins a brace after Callum Cheetham had set the ball rolling with an overhead kick. A Danny Phelan brace had Champs leading 2-1.

Brunsmeer Bradway AJW eased to a 4-0 victory over Thorncliffe who are without a point from three outings. Scorers were Jack Lambert, Liam Hannah and a Spencer Raines brace including a penalty. Mosborough pulled off a 2-1 home win over Ecclesfield Red Rose courtesy of Matt Kean and an own-goal, with Hayden Spencer replying.

Abbey Lane had to settle for a point from a 2-2 home draw against Double Top, Mathew Megson scoring a brace and having a third ruled out for offside.

In the League Cup, Brunsmer Bradway AJW beat Junior Blades U21 3-0 with goals from Ben Furniss and an Aaron Moxam double.

In the Tinsley Trophy first round first leg, goals from Callum Congreave and Reece Cahill send Mosborough A into the second leg with a 2-0 advantage over Mosborough B.

FC Spartak hold a healthy advantage over New Barrack Tavern, with the home leg to come, after a 6-2 win through Marek Ziga 2, Martin Horvath 2, Matej Dunka and Jan Horvath with Brad Hardy and Joe Fothergill replying.

Three second half goals from Pete Smith, Daniel Flynn and Rob Hutchinson sent beaten semi-finalists Crookes through to the second round of the Sunday Senior Cup, edging out Premier Division rivals The Devonshire 3-2.

High Noon cruised through to the next round with an emphatic 9-1 win over a depleted HSBC outfitwith braces from John Hill, Lanzel Reid and Chris Barne along with efforts from Alex Rippon, Lewis Worrall and Brandon Wilde with Phil Barnes nodding in a consolation for the Bankers.