Plenty of guts from boxing pair

Have your say

BOXING duo Tommy Coward and Steven Hale have proved they had the guts to go with boxing skills.

Both light-middleweight Coward and light-welter Hale were dropped in their fights at the Doncaster Dome, but both got up to notch victories.

Coward was romping to an easy victory over Welshman Gary Cooper before he let down his guard in the fourth, and copped for a big left hook which sent him sprawling. The Swinton man was soon up though and boxed the fight out to win 58-55. Stablemate Hale from Conisborough was up against Bulgarian Valentin Stoychev and was bundled over in the second. Hale had more work on to save his match, boxing four rounds, instead of six, he had to turn the fight back around quickly and did so with some eye-catching combinations which earned him a 39-38 decision. Both fighters have had periods of inactivity and Coward (now 4-0) regrets jeopardising his record.

“I just switched off and got caught with a daft shot. I was moving on my toes and next thing it was just ‘bump, down I go’, After that I just got up and boxed him.”

Hale (now 3-0) was pleased that he had enough character to turn the fight in his favour.

“That’s first time I’ve been put on my backside. He was a tough kid and as strong as an ox. I was playing on the crowd a little bit and my ear and eye feel massive now, but that’s what boxing is about. I’m happy to get the win.”

Also on the card was Gavin McDonnell and he showed glimpses of his ringside twin brother, European champion, Jamie in his 60-54 shutout win over Pavels Senkov.

The featherweight boxed cleverly and let loose some big combinations.

Making his return to the ring after a six year absence was Hadfield’s welterweight Charlie Thompson who recorded his first win against Bheki Moyo.

Thompson didn’t show much ring rust and landed some stellar combinations on the South African’s chin. Moyo fought back plenty and despite looking like the inferior boxer, was probably hard done to, to lose so comfortably 59-55. Light-welter Maxi Hughes managed his fourth straight win, beating Youssef Al Hamidi 40-36.

Al Hamidi took to running from Hughes from the off. If the Dewsbury ice cream van driver had been a heavyweight, Hughes’ wild swings still wouldn’t have connected and he won the decision purely on the basis that he turned up to fight. Doncaster’s former MMA fighter Jason Ball (light-middle) rocked Simone Lucas a few times on the way to a 39-38 win. Ball tested Lucas’ chin late on, but the African managed to see the four rounder out.