I’ll be back vows beaten Curtis

Curtis Woodhouse on the canvas just before the referee ended his fight with Derry Matthews
Curtis Woodhouse on the canvas just before the referee ended his fight with Derry Matthews
Have your say

Half-dazed and stumbling all over the place from a punch that detonated and Curtis Woodhouse still found a way to have a pop at the referee.

No doubt it is a habit he could not kick from his days on the football field but the ex-Blade Woodhouse will now forever be remembered as a boxer.

That is all he has ever wanted and to have shared a ring with a known warrior like Derry Mathews, despite losing at the Liverpool Olympia, shows how far he has come.

His shot at becoming Commonwealth lightweight champion was taken away in the fourth round when a short right hand thundered onto his chin and put him down.

Woodhouse bravely got up but was unsteady on his feet and made referee Mark Green’s decision to wave the fight off an easy one.

Mathews, who has had four fewer professional fights than Woodhouse and made appearances for Birmingham City, was one of the first to check on his opponent’s health backstage.

Woodhouse was fine to speak. He said: “The best man won and I’ve got no excuses. I trained hard and gave it all I could but I came up short.

“I was strong at the weight, I didn’t crash weight off and I didn’t go in there feeling weak.

“There is definitely no quit in me. I still think I can get there..”

A bumper weekend of South Yorkshire boxing was marred by events at the Barnsley Metrodome where crowd trouble forced the show to be abandoned before the main event featuring hometown fighter Matthew Mallin and Denaby’s Adam Jones.

Two shows in Sheffield thankfully kept the fighting in the ring.

Little could separate Mosborough lightweight Sam Matkin and Sunderland opponent Lee Mould at the Octagon - both in terms of boxing and appearance.

The duo served up an all-action contest neither really deserved to lose but nobody took home the British Masters Bronze belt on offer after a 76 all tie.

With a combined 40 stones in the ring for the heavyweight match between the returning Sheffielder Carl Baker and Doncaster’s Carl Spencer, referee Michael Alexander, only a middleweight in his day, appeared to have his work cut out.

Alexander did not have to interfere all that much as the pair served up a decent six rounder with Spencer setting the pace and 22-stone ‘The Fridge’ fighting back ably in his first bout for two years.

Spencer took the win 60-55 and moves onto 4-0 with three KOs.

Dronfield middleweight Lewis Taylor is now ten unbeaten after he beat Joe Walsh for a second time, although he was less convincing this time around with the scorecard having him a point less better off at 59-57.

Lightweight Qasim Hussain gave it go against Bradford’s former English champion Femi Fehintola but was just outclassed in skills and speed.

Sheffield Boxing Centre had a mixed night. Shiregreen’s Dave Fidler has a famed engine and it came into play at the Concorde Centre as he stopped Tomasz Mazurkiewicz in the ninth round of their scheduled ten.

Southpaw Fidler overwhelmed the Pole with a relentless assault to force the premature ending to a competitive fight for the International Masters title.

Parson Cross’ Wayne Reed, though, suffered a disastrous first outing at middleweight and did not win a round against Welsh journeyman Jamie Ambler.

Reed challenged for the English title in his last fight but was out of sorts against Ambler, who took it 60-56 for his first win in three years.

Light-middleweight Sam Sheedy got his first stoppage since his Central Area title win. Bulgarian Stanislav Nenkov had not been stopped in eight previous fights but the southpaw made him retire during the fifth round.

Metrodome results: Robbie Barrett (Barnsley) lost pts to Andy Harris; Jamie Zaszlos (Barnsley) lost pts to Dean Croft; en Davies (Barnsley) bt Nicky Jenman pts; Matt Smelt (Rotherham) bt Bheki Moyo pts; Damon Jones (Leeds) v Simone Lucas no contest - fight abandoned due to crowd trouble after 3rd.