FOOTBALL: Dual role proves too much for Woodhouse

editorial image
Have your say

Sheffield FC are searching for a new manager after it was announced that Curtis Woodhouse had stepped down after just over seven months in charge.

Club were beaten 5-1 at home by Belper Town on Boxing Day and the club say the former Sheffield United fotballer cited difficulties combining his professional boxing career and that of Non-League football management for his exit.

Sheffield secretary Stephen Hall said: “He was finding it difficult to combine his career as a professional boxer with the demands of Non-League management. The club was sad to accept his resignation but wish Curtis every success with his boxing.”

In the meantime, General Manager Ian Whitehorne has stepped in as caretaker boss and will be assisted by player-coach Vill Powell.

Sheffield saw their home clash against Gresley postponed with the Dronfield pitch waterlogged, while Stocksbridge Park Steels game at AFC Fylde suffered the same fate.

But Worksop Town enjoyed their day in the rain, climbing to fourth in the Premier Division table after making it five league wins on the trot and nine unbeaten with a 6-1 demolition of Matlock Town at Sandy Lane.

Former Worksop keeper Jon Kennedy made an excellent save from a Leon Mettam free-kick but from the resulting corner the Tigers took a sixth minute lead through a Luke Shiels header.

Two minutes later it was 2-0, Ashley Burbeary tucking the ball away at the far post after a Ryan Clarke’s shot had been deflected. Burbeary slotted home the third third on 17 minute before completing his hat-trick two minutes later from the penalty spot after Mettam had been brought down.

And it was all over bar the shouting when Worksop made it 5-0 with just 26 minutes on the clock. Mettam sweeping home a Burbeary cross after a flowing Worksop move.

There was a glimmer of hope for Matlock as the Tigers were reduced to 10 men on the stroke of half-time when Stuart Ludlam was shown a straight red for a foul on Jacob Hazel as he raced clear on goal. And when Lewis McMahon took advantage of some hesitancy in the Worksop defence to pull one back seven minutes after the break those hope were raised even higher.

But it proved to be no more than a blip for Simon Clark’s promotion hopefuls as Tom Denton nodded in from Burbeary’s 67th minute cross to complete the rout.

Frickley Athletic came from a goal down to beat struggling Kendal Town 2-1at Westfield Lane to pull eight points clear of the drop zone.

The visitors took a surprise 28th minute lead through Mason McGeecham but their joy was short-lived when four minutes later Gavin Allott restored parity from the penalty spot. And the comeback was complete when defender Jake Picton struck the winner on 66 minutes.

Tomorrow - Premier Div (3pm): Ilkeston Tn v Worksop Tn, Matlock Tn v Buxton, Stocksbridge PS v FC Utd of Manchester, Whitby Town v Frickley Ath.

Div One: Kidsgrove Ath v Sheffield FC.