Our Retro A to Z tour of Sheffield and surrounding areas has already been to Fox House and we’re back to look at Longshaw, across the road.
This is now a peaceful part of the Peak District and a lovely place for a stroll through the National Trust-owned estate but a century ago there was a hive of industry nearby with quarrying operations taking place.
The abandoned Bole Hill Quarry now attracts climbers and walkers but 100 years ago it was a major industrial undertaking, with the millstone grit being hauled uphill via a counterweight rail system, to be used for the Derwent Valley dams.
Some remnants of the railway and winding drum can still be seen, as well as an old gunpowder store and a valve house that pumps water from Derwent Dam.
A short walk away in Lawrence Field, there are still some abandoned millstones near the path.
This is an ancient technology but in modern times the millstones were manufactured on the spot for export to paper mills in Scandinavia.
Many millstones were just left abandoned when the industry collapsed in the 1930s.
The Longshaw Estate was used for shooting by the Duke of Rutland.
The 11,533-acre estate was put up for sale in July 1927, advertising the parklands as suitable for a golf course.
Sheffield organisations raised money to buy the lodge and 747 acres of grounds for £13,000. Four years later the estate was given to the National Trust.
Longshaw Sheep Dog Trials claim to be the oldest continuous trials in the country, running from 1898, interrupted only by two world wars.
According to the trials website, www.longshawsheepdog.co.uk, the most interesting account of their origins had the head shepherd and head keeper to the Duke of Rutland competing to see who could shoot most pigeons. The shepherd won.
The furious keeper challenged the shepherd to a return match. As the shepherd had no gun licence, he was worried that the keeper was going to tell the police, so he suggested that they should see whose dog was the best at rounding up sheep.
The first official trial was held on March 24, 1898, attracting 21 competitors.
A second trial held that September attracted a large crowd. A special train was run from Manchester and 700 spectators came.
By 1925 the crowd had expanded to 8,000 people. Women were first allowed to compete two years later.
The last trials were held on September 1-3.