Twenty years ago, it seemed like a highly ambitious project – transforming the decrepit and disused Deepcar railway station into a des res.
The site was put up for sale in 1995 by British Rail, with sales surveyors admitting at the time it was in need of ‘total renovation’.
But the overhaul of the site eventually became a reality and the former station has now been converted into an impressive private residence after being sold off at auction.
The station had closed to passenger traffic in 1959 but in 1995 and to this day, the single railway line adjoining it is still open to serve Tata Steel in Stocksbridge.
Deepcar railway station had first opened in 1845, on the line built by the Sheffield, Ashton-under-Lyne and Manchester Railway.
A short branch line to the Stocksbridge steel works opened in the 1870s.
Changes to the railway station are far from the only changes seen in Deepcar over the years.
Around eight miles to the north-west of Sheffield city centre, Deepcar was in the Ecclesfield parish and the Diocese of York.
Until 1974, for local government purposes it was in the West Riding of Yorkshire and Stocksbridge Urban District before being transferred until the control of the city of Sheffield.
Over the years, the village’s character has gradually changed from a small agricultural and then industrial hamlet before becoming something of a dormitory town for commuters.
But the presence of families who have lived in Deepcar for several generations has ensured it has retained its village feel.
A 1986 BBC survey of people living in Deepcar and Wortley may still ring true to some today.
It said: “Many families have lived in these areas for generations. New inhabitants (‘comers-in’) are accepted slowly but relationships once formed are firm, sincere ones.
“A survey of the estate (88 people) showed 64 per cent adults were not born in Deepcar and 84 per cent have lived there for less than 20 years.”
According to the Stocksbridge and District History Society, prior to the late 1980s the only place for vehicles to cross the River Don in the village was the Soughley Bridge.
But this changed with the opening of the Stocksbridge bypass in 1988, with the bridge now mainly used by local traffic.
The society’s website said: “The area close to the bridge was used for the tipping of spoil from the adjacent refractory works, and for decades it smouldered and burned due to underground fires.
“Often in times of rain the road would be engulfed in steam.
“The area was eventually cleared in preparation for the construction of the bypass.”
Fox Glen Wood in the centre of the village also has a rich and interesting history.
The small valley of land was provided to the people of Deepcar and Stocksbridge in commemoration of the coronation of King George V in 1911.
It was provided to local residents by the trustees of the late Samuel Fox, the man who founded the steelworks in Stocksbridge after buying a disused corn mill in 1842.
The site has gone through several changes of name and ownership over the decades and is now run by Tata Steel.
One of the other notable features of Deepcar is Tin Mill Dam, a popular spot with anglers down the years.
It remains well used and last year the Tin Mill Angling Club paid almost £2,500 to have the road to Tin Mill repaired to provide better access to the spot.
The club also introduced an extra 500 carp to the local waters to replenish fishing stock.