Woman tells how Sheffield shooting victim collapsed into partner's arms after arriving at hospital where he died

Flowers left close to the scene of the fatal shooting
Flowers left close to the scene of the fatal shooting
Have your say

A woman has told how the young victim of a Sheffield shooting collapsed into her partner's arms after arriving at hospital, where he later died.

A 23-year-old man, named locally as Aseel, was gunned down on Saturday afternoon in Daniel Hill, Upperthorpe.

Forensics officers at the scene of the shooting

Forensics officers at the scene of the shooting

He died shortly after arriving at the Northern General Hospital with what police said was a suspected gunshot wound.

Elle Cotton said she was outside the hospital when the victim's brother pulled up in a white Mercedes with his wounded sibling laid out across the back seats.

"The car sped in and a young lad shouted 'help, my brother's been shot in the head'," she said.

"My partner and I ran up to the car and opened the back door, and he fell into my partner's arms. He had a white jumper wrapped around his head.

Police said a post-mortem examination was due to take place today

Police said a post-mortem examination was due to take place today

"My partner put him into the recovery position before lots of ambulances and nurses arrived and he was taken inside. It was very traumatic and I hope the boy rests in peace."

The victim has yet to be formally identified, but police today said his family had been informed and were receiving support. A post-mortem examination was due to take place that day.

A murder investigation is underway, and the street which is close to a small park and a parade of shops remained sealed off this afternoon.

Senior Investigating Officer Joanne Bates said: "We are currently working to determine the exact circumstances of what happened yesterday and anyone with any information that may be able to assist with our investigation, is urged to contact police."

She added that extra police were patrolling the area to reassure the community. It is believed the killer remains on the loose, with police yet to announce any arrests.

A bunch of roses left close to the scene were accompanied by a note paying tribute to 'our Angel Aseel'.

"Forever in our hearts. Living on in our memories. A heart of pure gold," the message read.

A bystander, who said he was the victim's cousin, also paid tribute.

"He was a good guy. He was very friendly and very generous. He would help anybody. We can’t believe what has happened," said the man, who did not give his name.

Friends, family and others touched by the tragedy also shared their grief on social media.

'I will never forget the time we had brother', read one message on Facebook, while another described the victim as a 'top lad' who 'will always be missed'.

A local shopkeeper, who asked not to be named, said the community was in shock as it was a 'safe' and 'friendly' area.

"It's a nice, friendly area and a safe neighbourhood. We've been here for 20 years and have never had any trouble," he said.

Saturday's shooting was the second in six days. A 25-year-old man was shot in the chest in Shiregreen last Monday night, and a 24-year-old was arrested and bailed on suspicion of attempted murder.

It also comes just weeks after shots were fired through the window of a house in Southey Green, narrowly missing a pensioner, in what police said was a case of mistaken identity. The moment those shots were fired was captured in chilling CCTV footage.

That shooting is believed by police to be linked to a similar incident in Wortley Green, High Green, the previous month.