Young men urged to talk about their feelings after 22-year-old commits suicide

A coroner has highlighted concerns about young men not talking about their feelings during the inquest of a 22-year-old who committed suicide.

Wednesday, 1st June 2016, 3:11 pm
Updated Wednesday, 1st June 2016, 4:13 pm
Jordan Feek. Picture submitted.

Chesterfield coroners’ court heard Jordan Feek, of Adlington Avenue, Wingerworth, struggled with personal and professional issues before his death in January.

Mr Feek deliberately walked on to railway track south of Chesterfield and was hit by a train travelling at almost 80mph.

Coroner James Newman told Wednesday’s hearing: “Society’s greatest demons are drugs and mental health problems.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

“Young men don’t want to talk about what’s going on and their feelings. Maybe it’s to do with ‘macho culture’.

“Sadly, I see cases like Jordan’s time and time and time again.”

The court heard Mr Feek had been in a long-distance relationship with Faridat Agba for just over a year-and-a-half.

A written statement from Ms Agba, which was read out by the coroner, said: “Jordan was very caring and sweet.

“We always spoke about getting married and having children.”

Former Chesterfield College student Mr Feek worked as a welder before becoming a director of an online business.

Ms Agba said this venture encountered difficulties and she noticed a change in Mr Feek.

The court heard he also had ‘increasing gambling debts’.

Ms Agba added: “Jordan became down emotionally and didn’t talk to me much.

“I told him he should go and see his doctor but he didn’t.”

Mr Feek’s mother Andrea told the court: “Jordan could be quiet at times but he enjoyed a joke and loved animals.

“He was a private young man but there were no signs he was depressed in the family home.”

On Saturday, January 16, Mr Feek told his mother – who he loved dearly – that he was going to a friend’s house.

He was hit by the Nottingham-bound train on track between Mill Lane, Grassmoor, and Bridge Street, New Tupton, and pronounced dead at 9.55pm.

The train driver needed counselling following the tragedy.

In the days before his death, Mr Feek had researched ‘multi-storey car parks’ online.

Mr Newman ruled the young man committed suicide while the balance of his mind was disturbed and expressed his condolences to Mr Feek’s loved ones.