Young man kills himself after seeing ex with another man

editorial image
Have your say

A young man from Doncaster killed himself after he saw his ex-girlfriend with another man during a night out with friends.

20-year-old Dean Bettison, waited on the tracks for an oncoming train at Bentley Station in the early hours of September 13 2015 Doncaster Coroners Court was told. He was killed instantly.

The electrical apprentice’s body was found by rail technicians later the same morning.

His heartbroken family said they were shocked at his actions saying that it was completely out of character.

Dean’s mother Janice Bettison said: “Dean was happy, he had no worries. It doesn’t make any sense. There was no indication to anyone that he would do this. He lived life to the full, he never wanted for anything. “

Dean had been drinking in the hours before his death and Dr Paul Smith, who carried out the toxicological tests, said that the amount of alcohol in his blood could have caused a ‘loss of critical judgement’.

The former Don Valley school pupil had been in a relationship for two years but the pair had broken up as they kept rowing. His mother described the girl as his ‘first love’ and that he ‘had strong feelings’ for her.

Dean sent his ex-girlfriend a series of message minutes before his death telling her that ‘you’ve made me suicidal’ and ‘I love you but you don’t love me so I’ve got to go.’ He also told her she could go to his funeral.

Tom Hutchinson, a friend Dean had been with on the night before his death, said that Dean was always happy and laughing. He said: He was a good lad to be around.”

He told the inquest that Dean was ‘angry and upset’ when he saw his former partner with someone else and he said that he’d ‘kill himself for her’.

Mr Hutchinson said: “He didn’t seem to be serious. He calmed down and seemed himself after that.”

After meeting up with some other friends. Mr Hutchinson went to the toilet and when he returned he found that Dean had disappeared.

He told the inquest that Dean had disappeared on nights out before and he ‘wasn’t concerned’.

Dean then asked man in a passing car for a lift to Bentley and offered him £20 saying the taxi queue was too long. The man drove him there but said that Dean had not seemed upset and ‘nothing gave me any cause for concern. He was polite, he didn’t seem angry.’

Mark Beresford,assistant coroner recorded a verdict of suicide.

He said: Dean sent messages that demonstrated his intentions to take his own life. It is very difficult to know the thoughts in Dean’s mind.”

“He had a great deal to live for, no history of mental health issues, no financial problems. He was affected by seeing his former girlfriend in the company of another man. Alcohol did play some part in his thought process. It is a senseless tragedy.”