Young couple flee flat after cigarette starts blaze

Share this article
Have your say

A man and a woman escaped from their blazing bedroom in Rotherham after a fire caused by a discarded cigarette.

The fire broke out at a flat in Ash View, Greasbrough, on Sunday, at about 6.20pm.

A South Yorkshire Fire & Rescue spokesman said a man and a woman in their 20s were in the property at the time and were taken to hospital for a precautionary check.

The fire was confined to the bedroom and involved bedding and clothes.

There was minimal damage to the property.