Yorkshire Ambulance Service said it worked tirelessly to save kickboxer following criticism

Yorkshire Ambulance Service has stressed it worked tirelessly to save Scott Marsden following criticism from the president of the World Kickboxing Association England.

Tuesday, 14th March 2017, 5:12 pm
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 10:24 am
Scott Marsden - picture by SWNS

President Jon Green took to Facebook this morning to pay tribute to the 14-year-old kickboxing champion who died following a fight on Saturday.

Mr Green said that Scott was one of kickboxing's finest champions in the ring and a true ambassador of its values out of it.

However, despite praising the work of the ringside paramedic team, Mr Green criticised the role of the NHS emergency response team.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

He said: "Our sport is a contact sport but every precaution is in place to have protection and to be able respond to keep our fighters safe

"Unfortunately there were complications where additional emergency response was needed to which NHS emergency response requests failed in a way that cannot be comprehended."

However, Dr David Macklin, executive director of Operations at Yorkshire Ambulance Service NHS Trust said the service did all it could to save Scott.

He said: “First and foremost our thoughts are with the family and friends of the young kickboxer following his tragic death.

“Yorkshire Ambulance Service received an emergency call at 10.30pm on Saturday evening to attend an incident at Leeds Martial Arts College in Morley involving a teenage kickboxer who had collapsed during an organised competition.

“A private events medical team was on scene with the patient and the nearest available ambulance was dispatched to the incident and arrived on scene at 10.51pm.

In addition,we dispatched the West Yorkshire Medic Response Team with a doctor on board, and a clinical supervisor specially trained in advanced resuscitation techniques.

“All of our staff worked tirelessly to provide the patient with the best possible care and transport him to hospital for further treatment.”

Hillsborough-born Scott was left needing urgent medical attention as he was taking part in an English title fight in Leeds on Saturday.

He was rushed to hospital but could not be saved with police confirming his death this morning.

Mr Green said that the news did not seem "real or even possible" but stressed there were no failings from either teams and the promoter had "everything place".

He said: "Guidelines and rules were followed 100%. Paramedic team at Ringside fought tirelessly to keep Scott with us to be able to get him to hospital

"I'm just thankful for the whole family when he needed urgent attention it was there and that the complications which occurred did not happen at home later that night.

"I wish to thank every single person from our world of sport that have said kind words, shown respect and above all prayed throughout and wished love towards Scott and his family.