Woman choked to death during family dinner out

editorial image
Share this article
Have your say

A FAMILY celebration ended in tragedy when a pensioner choked to death at dinner.

June Allsop, aged 67, and husband Frank were in a party of eight enjoying a meal at The Ladybower Inn, Bamford, on January 20, an inquest heard.

Mrs Allsop was severely disabled following life-saving treatment for a brain tumour 12 years ago and suffered Parkinsonism - a condition similar to Parkinson’s Disease.

But she had been given hope new treatment would improve her condition.

Her family was celebrating that news the night she died.

Mr Allsop was feeding his wife a small cut of gammon when she sneezed, became distressed and collapsed.

An off-duty police officer retrieved a piece of meat from her throat and Mr Allsop gave mouth-to-mouth. But paramedics who arrived 20 minutes later were unable to save Mrs Allsop.

Pathologist Dr Chris Stonard gave the cause of death as aspiration of food.

Mr Allsop told the Chesterfield inquest: “We had a good quality of life despite her difficulties. We regularly travelled to Bamford and enjoyed our meals together. This time it went horribly wrong.”

Coroner Nigel Anderson recorded a verdict of accidental death on Mrs Allsop, who lived in Aberystwyth, Wales.