Windows damaged at Sheffield’s new Genting Club casino

Isolated incident: Broken windows at the Genting Club.                                                                                                                      Picture: Stuart Hastings
Isolated incident: Broken windows at the Genting Club. Picture: Stuart Hastings
Have your say

THE grand opening of Sheffield’s new city centre casino was marred by vandalism.

One window pane was smashed and several others were damaged after a reveller was thrown out of the Genting Club at Arundel Gate during its weekend-long launch celebrations.

The incident happened in the early hours of Sunday, following two days of VIP events organised to promote the latest addition to Sheffield’s night scene.

Olympic gold medallist and the city’s golden girl Jess Ennis was guest of honour on Saturday night.

Just a few hours later, the damage was caused to nine glass panels at the front of the building.

A protective layer over the glass kept most of the panes from shattering, but one panel was smashed.

The club took to Twitter to break the news of the incident after a number of users Tweeted about the damage. The official account stated: “Unfortunately we were the victim of some vandalism, we will be replacing these windows asap”.

South Yorkshire Police launched an investigation into the incident and arrested a 33-year-old man was arrested. He has been released on bail.

A spokeswoman for the Genting Club said: “We were alerted to an incident in the casino a short time after 3.30am by our security staff through our CCTV system and promptly dealt with it, and the customer asked to leave.

“The police were called later when the person involved continued to cause trouble outside of our premises.

“Despite this isolated incident, our launch event, which was attended by over 1,500 people, was a huge success and the vast majority of our customers enjoyed an exciting and trouble free evening’s entertainment.”

A spokeswoman for South Yorkshire Police said: “A man was arrested at the scene in connection with the incident and was released on police bail pending further enquiries.”