Warning to dog owners in Sheffield after pet swallows children's toy and nearly dies

A dog required life-saving surgery after swallowing a children's toy in his owner's Sheffield garden.

Sunday, 25th March 2018, 1:06 pm
Updated Sunday, 25th March 2018, 1:15 pm
Rocco's life-saving treatment has cost 2,000

Rocco, a two-year-old French mastiff, was rushed to the vets last week by James Tompkins and went under the knife after tests showed the harmless-looking soft toy - known as a pineapple Bobball - was blocking his intestines.

Mr Tompkins, of Arbourthorne, believes the toy was thrown into his garden by a neighbour, and he has urged fellow pet owners to check for any such hazards before letting their pooches loose outside.

Rocco was full of life before he became ill

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Read More

Read More
ALERT: Police investigating reports of 'four hooded men' trying to gain entry to...

He claims he had been unable to insure Rocco as the mutt has an existing skin condition, meaning providers were unwilling to offer cover.

"Rocco's doing well after his operation but the vets say he's likely to need another course of tablets, so the £2,000 bill is likely to rise further," he said.

Rocco after undergoing surgery to remove the toy

"I wasn't very happy when I found out what had caused it. The toy must have been thrown over the garden fence by someone.

"After what's happened, I'd advise other dog owners to always check their garden before letting their pets out. If you live near people with children there could be a risk."

He was first diagnosed with a cold and given an injection to stop the nausea but his condition failed to improve so his owner took him back on Monday, when he was put on a drip and had various tests before an x-ray revealed the blockage.

This is the type of soft toy which Mr Tompkins says ended up blocking Rocco's intestines
Rocco with his friend Rolo, a four-year-old Staffordshire bull terrier
Rocco was full of life before he became ill
Rocco after undergoing surgery to remove the toy
This is the type of soft toy which Mr Tompkins says ended up blocking Rocco's intestines
Rocco with his friend Rolo, a four-year-old Staffordshire bull terrier