A warning has been posted on trees in a Sheffield wood warning dog walkers of the dangers of snakes.
The warning relates to an incident which is reported to have happened in Ecclesall Woods last week.
The poster reads: "On 22nd May 2017 we walked our dog, a German shepherd in Ecclesall Wood as we have done for the last three years.
"He's a very sociable dog and has never needed a lead. On this occasion after a brief walk we noticed he could no longer walk.
"We've since found out he was bitten by a snake. Please take care."
The UK has three native species of snake but only one of these species - the adder - is venomous.
Adders grow to a length of 75cm and tend to live in areas of rough open countryside and woodland habitats.
Although venomous, adders are not aggressive snakes and only use their venom is they are caught or trodden on.