Warning after barbecue causes bin fire

South Yorkshire Fire Service have issued a warning after a disposable barbecue started a wheelie bin blaze.

Crews from Sheffield’s Central fire station were called out to an incident on Thursday at around 10pm on St Philips Road, Sheffield.

On arrival, they found that a disposable barbecue had been placed in a bin while it was still smouldering.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Using a hose reel, firefighters extinguished the fire before it was able to spread.

South Yorkshire fire service reminded Sheffielders to stay safe while enjoying the sunshine in the summer months.

A spokesman said that barbecues should be put on a flat surface away from trees, shrubs and grassland and a bucket of water should always be kept nearby.

They added: “Petrol or paraffin on a barbecue, only recognised lighters and starter fuels and make sure the coals have properly cooled before disposal and empty ashes onto bare soil, not into the bin.”