A war memorial has been moved from a Sheffield graveyard to the cemetery where the soldiers it honours are buried.
Staff from Sheffield Council have spent weeks taking the memorial apart at City Road Cemetery and are reconstructing it brick by brick at Sheffield General Cemetery in Sharrow.
Work on the project, being led by the council’s bereavement services department, began on September 3 and is expected to take three weeks to complete.
It is being carried out at the request of the War Graves Commission because the screen wall type memorial commemorates dozens of casualties from both World War One and World Word Two who are buried in the General Cemetery.
Coun Isobel Bowler, cabinet member for neighbourhoods, said: “We’re really pleased that we’ve been able to relocate this memorial close to the graves of those who are commemorated upon it.”
Historic Sheffield General Cemetery, which dates back to 1836, has more than 87,000 people buried there and is used as a park.
It has more listed structures than any other Sheffield park and is a Grade II listed landscape.
The cemetery also contains the graves of football legend William Prest, who co-founded Sheffield FC, and steel baron, former Master Cutler and city benefactor Mark Firth.
Its imposing nonconformist chapel is being restored and turned into an arts venue in a project using heritage funding, led by park managers the Sheffield General Cemetery Trust, .
And there are hopes of much more restoration in the park, classed as ‘at risk’ by English Heritage, including restoring two rows of catacombs.