Violent man attacked cancer-stricken stepson

A violent man attacked his stepson who is suffering with cancer and the stepson's mother after a row over internet usage.

Thursday, 7th April 2016, 9:12 am
Updated Thursday, 7th April 2016, 9:16 am
Chesterfield magistrates' court.

Chesterfield magistrates’ court recently heard how Colin Dunlop, 43, of Monnies End, Clowne, grabbed his stepson around the throat and pushed him against a patio door before he also assaulted the young man’s mother the following day.

Prosecuting solicitor Sarah Haslam told the court hearing on March 30: “The mother has been in a relationship with the defendant for six years. She has a 21-year-old son and an 18-year-old daughter and the daughter has been seeing someone and there have been lots of arguments between them and the defendant’s temper has been escalating.

“The son made a statement to police saying there had been an argument about internet usage between himself and the defendant and Dunlop told him to shut up or he would put him through a wall.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

“The defendant grabbed him around the throat and he was lifted up and pushed against the patio door as his mother tried to pull the defendant away.”

Miss Haslam added that there was a further row the following day between the defendant and the young man’s mother and he got hold of her ankle, pulled her off a bed and allegedly kicked her.

The court also heard how the stepson has been battling cancer, according to Miss Haslam.

Dunlop admitted to police that he picked his stepson up and accepted arguing with the young man’s mother and grabbing her and pulling her off the bed but denied kicking her and claimed he caught her with his foot as he tried to pick her up.

The defendant pleaded guilty to two counts of assault after the incidents in Killamarsh on March 9 and 10.

Defence solicitor Benjamin Strelley said: “The mother stated the defendant and her son were squaring up to each other and shouting unpleasant things to each other and one comment was made and at that point the defendant grabbed his stepson and the mother ran over and he was released.

“The following day the defendant was trying to speak to the mother to apologise for his actions but that built up frustration and a further incident occurred.”

Magistrates adjourned the case until April 20 to consider a report from the probation service before sentencing.

Dunlop was released on bail on the grounds he does not contact the complainants or go to the address concerned at Killamarsh.