Specialist firefighters in decontamination suits are at a Sheffield hospital following a chemical spillage.
Crews were called to the Northern General Hospital at 10.15am today following reports that a drum containing acid had split and the chemical had leaked.
The incident happened near to the hospital laundry, close to the Chesterman cardiology wing.
A delivery lorry was carrying the solution, which leaked onto the ground.
A decontamination tent was erected with dozens of firefighters at the scene.
A spokesman for South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue said the hospital had not been evacuated but a cordon was put in place around the chemical as a precaution.
Paul Heffernan, incident commander at South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue said: “A container had fallen out of the back of a lorry on a hospital access road at the Chesterman Wing of Northern General Hospital this morning.
“Firefighters in specialist suits have been mopping up the chemicals. No services have been affected.
“Multiple agencies have been working well together so that hospital services could continue.
“The chemical is thought to be a non-hazardous, relatively weak dilute acid which is used as part of the laundry process.”
Michael Harper, Chief Operating Officer, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, said: “A delivery lorry at the Northern General Hospital had a container on it which was leaking a liquid which was not harmful.
“The leakage has been cleared up and no patients or staff have been affected. It was not in a patient area and so no evacuation was required. It has not impacted on patient care at all.”