VIDEO: Armed siege in Sheffield ends after suspect walks out eating a bag of crisps

A suspect at the centre of an armed siege surrendered to police after three hours...casually tucking into a packet of crisps.

The man, aged 26, appeared unarmed as he left the property wearing sunglasses and calmly carrying an open bag of Quavers.

After a short conversation with officers, he took one final mouthful of the snack before being detained and led away with his hands tethered behind his back.

The drama unfolded when officers were called to a property on High Street Lane near Park Square roundabout in Sheffield city centre at around 9.10am yesterday.

Armed police with semi-automatic rifles surrounded the property after officers originally went to the address to arrest a man.

A police negotiator, armed police, officers from the mounted section, and Force Crime Unit officers were all at the scene.

One eye-witness described how the situation ‘quickly escalated’ and marksmen surrounded the property pointing their firearms at the house.

Neighbour Dr Imran Haq was on his way to work at the Royal Hallamshire Hospital and witnessed the situation unfolding.

He said: “I’m a bit shocked by it all, especially with the guns. You don’t see that every day.

“I came out of the house around 9am and I saw loads of police milling around on High Street Lane.

“Police were at the house around the corner from me. It looked like they came to arrest a man but it all went from there.

“I didn’t expect for it to escalate in such a way so quickly.

“I’ve had no problems in the past over the three years that I’ve lived here.”

Another neighbour said: “I saw a woman whose house it is roll up in a red car and speak to police.

“I think it’s the son who’s in there. The woman whose house it is was out, she’s gone now.”

Three neighbours – one woman visibly distressed – were moved from their home by police around 10.15am.

Officers cordoned off the main part of High Street Lane and Crown Place backing on to the property as the police helicopter flew overhead.

The siege ended just after midday after six armed officers with a dog entered the house.

A South Yorkshire Police spokesman said: “A man has been arrested in High Street Lane, Sheffield, following negotiations.

“Officers arrived at the address at 9.10am to arrest the man.

“Some neighbours were moved out as a precaution while police negotiated with him.

“The 26-year-old Sheffield man has been arrested on suspicion of assisting offenders and is in police custody.

“A team of officers were at the scene to ensure a peaceful and safe conclusion. No one was injured during the incident.

“Police are grateful for the support they have received from local residents and those that work in the area for their patience.”