VIDEO: Angry Sheffield bride calls for apology after photographer gets stuck in lift at wedding

A bride is calling for a public apology from a wedding venue after their photographer for the day got stuck in a faulty lift meaning key pictures were missed.

Thursday, 2nd August 2018, 9:36 am
Updated Thursday, 2nd August 2018, 9:38 am
Stephanie and Matthew Fenwick.

Mark Tierney was travelling up two flights to shoot a group photograph of couple Stephanie and Matthew Fenwick surrounded by guests at Kelham Island Museum in Sheffield when the lift shuddered to a sudden halt.

Read More

Read More
Sheffield woman, aged 48, died after slipping on icy pavement
Stephanie and Matthew Fenwick.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

He was stuck for 30 minutes and firefighters had to be called to free him during the incident on Friday, July 27.

Due to the tight schedule of the day there was no time to rearrange the group picture and other important images showing the couple entering the venue were also missed.

Mrs Fenwick has now criticised the venue and called for them to issue a public apology.

The 28-year-old, of Intake, said: "You save up for two years, work overtime, and spend thousands on your big day and then something like this happens.

Mark stuck in the lift.

"There has been a lot of publicity about it and people have laughed but it was our big day and this marred it.

"Because he was stuck there was no time to do group pictures or us entering the function room as everyone who was gathered for the shot had gone to sit down for their food.

"We had to get people to take them on their phones instead, which weren't as good."

Mark Tierney.

She added: "We asked for the lifts to be checked the day before because our daughter had a broken ankle and a few other guests were in a wheelchair or on crutches and would need to use the lift.

"The lift was out of order for the rest of the night so those guests had to be wheeled up and down long ramps instead.

"In the end you just have to get on with it but we do want an apology from them."

Photographer Mark, aged 50, of Dinnington, previously told how being stuck in the lift felt like an "oven" with temperatures reaching 29C.

Kelham Island Museum.

A spokeswoman for Sheffield Industrial Museums Trust said it was an "unfortunate" incident and this was the first time it had happened.

She added: "Our staff team reacted quickly and did everything they could to rectify the situation. It is regretful that the bride missed out on a few photographs, however, our priority was in getting the photographer out of the lift, especially given the exceptionally hot weather.

"One of our staff stepped in to take a group photograph for the party and we also provided the bride with complimentary prosecco.

"The lift was checked the day before and was in full working order, and is regularly serviced."

The spokeswoman said guests were welcome to use an alternative lift in service on the day and the broken elevator was fixed by 10pm that night.

Firefighters at the scene.

She added no formal complaints had been lodged about the incident.