Victim of girl gang beating dies in agony

Janet Ellis has been in a cast since November 2007. Picture: Marie Caley D3339MC
Janet Ellis has been in a cast since November 2007. Picture: Marie Caley D3339MC
Have your say

A woman whose daughter died three years after being crippled in a vicious girl gang beating has spoken of her anger at being “let down by the system”.

Janet Ellis, aged 42, never recovered from the ordeal but her attackers escaped jail for the horrendous attack in Morecambe, Lancashire.

Her mother, Carol Grocock, of Aldesworth Road, Cantley, in Doncaster who sat at her bedside as she lay dying, said: “I wish those girls were there to watch her go.”

In 2009, one of the gang who was 15 at the time of the offence, was given a 12-month community rehabilitation order by a judge at Preston Crown Court and was electronically tagged for four months.

The other teenage girls involved in the attack were not charged with any offence.

In the attack, Janet’s right leg was broken in two places and she was punched in the head and stamped on. Her leg almost had to be amputated because the fractures were so serious.

Three years of operations, falls and replacement hips took their toll and she started drinking to forget what had happened.

Janet died in hospital last November after suffering a haemorrhage and liver failure but until now her family has not felt ready to speak publicly about their loss.

Mrs Grocock said: “If only the girls could see the heartache they have caused and their parents could see what’s happened. They were all seen laughing going out of court.

“I’m disgusted and I feel very angry. I feel like the system let us down. Chances are she would still be alive if she wasn’t attacked.”

After the attack in November 2007, Janet spent 16 weeks in hospital but, unable to live on her own, she returned to live with her mother in Cantley, and had to rely on mum and a carer for her everyday needs.

Mrs Grocock said: “Things got to her and she started drinking to forget, sometimes a bottle of sherry a day. Last summer, she had to have gastric bands to hold her chest together after haemorrhaging.

“She stopped drinking for five months, but around the anniversary of the attack things just got her down and she started drinking again. She wasn’t the same girl after the attack - it’s cost her her life.”

After a long battle with the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority, Janet received just £10,500, much of which went on special mobility equipment.

Her mother added: “I’m glad she moved to be nearer her family because things could have been even worse.

“I’m on my own now and I just feel so empty. Everything has been taken away by these girls.”

Janet was cremated at Rose Hill last month and most of her ashes will be scattered on Bridlington beach.

Carol will also keep some at home to place close to the garden waterfall she used to lie next to when she was feeling ill.