UPDATED: Bomb disposal experts carry out controlled explosion on suspicious Sheffield package

editorial image
Have your say

Army bomb disposal experts tonight carried out a controlled explosion on a ‘suspicious package’ found in Sheffied.

The item was blown up shortly after 10pm after emergency services had been on scene for several hours.

Residents and workers had been left stranded after police set up an extensive cordon around the package, which was reported in Gibraltar Street just bfore 3.30pm.

A South Yorkshire Police spokesman said: “Police were called to a building on Gibraltar Street in Sheffield at about 3.25pm today, after a suspicious package was found by workmen.

“The road was closed as a precaution while police carry out enquiries.”

At one point roads around the area were cordoned off, including part of the city’s inner ring road, leading to lengthy delays for motorists.

Police said they worked to bring the incident to a ‘safe and speedy conclusion’.

Superintendent Colin McFarlane, from South Yorkshire Police, said: “We worked with partner agencies to investigate the incident and bring it to a safe and speedy conclusion.

“All the precautions were to ensure the safety of members of the public and I would like to thank them for their patience.”

Residents and workers returning to homes and parked cars inside the cordon had been left stranded by the closure, while residents already at home inside the cordon were advised to stay indoors.

The Shakespeare pub, on Gibraltar Street inside the cordon, closed after customers were advised to leave the area.

Chris Bamford, pub manager, said: “We saw a bomb disposal unit send a robot into the building.

“Staff rang me at about 3.30pm to say the road had been closed off and we closed the pub, I wanted to come down and see what is happening.

“It was an unusual call to get, not one I had been expecting.”

Sam Llewellyn. aged 24. lives on flats on Gibraltar Street and said he had returned from work to find police on the scene.

He said; “At first we were told it was an unstable building but then the bomb squad turned up. It was a shock.”