UPDATE: Sheffield recycyling plant waste 'self-combusted' due to hot weather
A fire which sent smoke billowing across the M1 was caused by waste which 'self-combusted' in the heat, the Environment Agency has revealed.
The blaze took place this evening between junctions 34 (Meadowhall) and 35 (Thorpe Hesley) when a fire took hold which caused a plume of smoke to drift across the carriageway.
Environment Agency employee Adam Bayliss - who was on his way home at the time of the incident - stopped to take these photos of the blaze being extinguished.
He said the most likely cause was self combustion due to hot weather but added that good fire plans, waste segregation, drainage and cooperation meant it was quickly brought under control.
Car salesman must pay out over £13,000 after he sold a dangerous vehicle to a Sheffield customer
Flockton Park Sheffield: Park taped off by police as officers carry out search
Police probe launched after man armed with knife demands car keys from driver filling up at Sheffield petrol station
These are the most annoying things you can say to somebody from Sheffield - don't mention John Lewis
Are there Doncaster Sheffield Airport queues today? Advice on parking, fast track, airport hotels, lounges
He said: "The site had an impressive new sealed drainage system and fire breaks throughout the waste. Certainly a well managed site from what I saw tonight which meant the fire brigade could tackle it very quickly."