UPDATE: Fatal Sheffield house fire 'accidental'

South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue chiefs, investigating Stannington farmhouse fire that claimed an elderly couple's lives, have just confirmed the cause was accidental.

Tuesday, 8th November 2016, 3:04 pm
Updated Friday, 18th November 2016, 11:22 am
Scene of Sheffield double death house blaze

The double death house blaze "believed to be cooking related"

Fire broke out in their 17th century Spout Lane home in the early hours of yesterday (Monday November 7), killing both OAPs aged in their 90s.

"Investigation into Farmhouse fire in Stannington where elderly couple died is found to be accidental, believed to be cooking related" confirmed an @SYFR Tweet.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Named locally as Len and Freda, their bodies were found by firefighters once the house was deemed safe to search with one body discovered close to a door.

Neighbours have spoken at their shock at the tragic deaths, describing the pensioners as "friendly, sociable and kind".