Untrained Liverpool fan saved lives at Hillsborough

editorial image
Have your say

A Liverpool football fan caught up in the deadly crush at Hillsborough told the inquests he saw ‘more than one’ policeman pushing fans back into the overcrowded pens.

David Moore, an accountant in 1989, said police were treating it as hooliganism before it ‘dawned on them’ what was happening.

Mr Moore gave life-saving treatment to fans caught up in the crush, despite having no first aid training.

Giving evidence to Matthew Hill, counsel to the inquests, Mr Moore said pen three on the Leppings Lane terraces was ‘very full’ when he arrived at 2.55pm.

He told Mr Hill he felt the crush build up, and then a sudden release of pressure.

“We couldn’t see, but it was obvious the barrier had collapsed,” he said.

“There were people on the floor in front of us.”

Asked about his experience in the pen, he said: “At first, the police were treating it, I think, as a sort of pitch invasion and hooliganism. The police were trying to push people back into the pen and then gradually I think realisation dawned on them.”

He said he saw ‘more than one’ policeman pushing ‘maybe half a dozen, maybe more’ spectators back into the pen.

“Gradually they saw that something really bad was happening,” he said.

Mr Moore said he saw one of the policemen trying to flatten the spikes on top of the fence with his bare hands.

He also described seeing a large number of bodies lying on top of each other, some of which were dead, after the barrier gave way.

Mr Moore said he began to check for pulses, but had no first aid training.

In a statement made after the disaster, he said he gave the kiss of life to between ten and 12 people.

He also helped carry casualties and bodies to the gym.

Stephen Simblet, representing some of the victims’ families, asked Mr Moore about the mouth to mouth resuscitation he gave to casualties.

The jury heard that one person he was treating, between 3.15pm and 3.20pm, came round and started speaking.

“So even an untrained person was capable of doing something effective and in the case of the man whom you resuscitated, probably saving his life?,” Mr Simblet asked Mr Moore.

“Yes,” he replied.

He confirmed some of those who appeared dead might have actually been alive and he said police were standing around not being told what to do.

He agreed police officers who questioned him were interested in details of fans drinking on the way to the ground, but he didn’t think it relevant.

He said he did not see any fans not co-operating with police because of the amount they had drunk.