Two-year-old boy taken to hospital after Sheffield house fire

A two-year-old boy needed hospital treatment for smoke inhalation after a Sheffield house fire.

Sunday, 31st January 2016, 8:03 am
Updated Sunday, 31st January 2016, 8:09 am
A house fire on Derbyshire Lane, Meersbrook, happened on Saturday night

An accidental fire started in the living room of a property on Derbyshire Lane, Meersbrook, at around 8.30pm last night.

Three fire engines were sent to the scene and one of the people inside the property, the small boy, was taken to hospital as a precautionary measure following the blaze.

A spokesman for South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said firefighters had been at the scene for around two hours.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

He said: “The whole of the front room was completely gutted and there was smoke damage to the rest of the house.”

An investigation into how the fire started will now be carried out by the fire service.