Two rescued from Sheffield house blaze

editorial image
Have your say

A man and a woman had to be rescued from their blazing Sheffield home in the early hours of the morning.

The woman, who is in her twenties, was helped to safety by firefighters after she climbed out of the house and on to the top of a bay window to escape from the toxic smoke.

A man, who is also in his twenties, was rescued from the living room of the property.

Fire crews were alerted by the woman at 3am yesterday morning after she smelled smoke.

She was asleep in an upstairs bedroom.

The blaze had started in the kitchen after the man left cooking on the hob and then fell asleep in the living room of house in Rokenby Road, Parson Cross.

A South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman said: “The smoke was coming up the stairs so our control operator gave the woman fire survival advice over the phone.

“She decided to climb out of the bedroom window and on to the top of the bay window.

“She was rescued by firefighters. The man was in the living room but the door was shut so the smoke hadn’t got through.”

The fire was confined to the kitchen although the rest of the property was smoke damaged.

Crews from Elm Lane, Rivelin and Tankersley fire stations tackled the blaze and spent an hour at the scene.

The fire service spokeswoman said the property’s smoke alarms had been taken down, adding: “It was lucky the woman woke up. 
“This incident could have been a lot worse.”

The two occupants of the property were taken to hospital to be treated for the effects of breathing in smoke.