Twitter spat leads to Brook-Khan fight offer
Eddie Hearn has offered Amir Khan a 60:40 split of the fight pot to face Kell Brook at Wembley Stadium in June.
The Matchroom Boxing chief made the public declaration on Twitter following a rant by Khan on the social media site.
A series of frustrated tweets, claims and counter-claims flew between Khan, Hearn and Sheffield’s IBF welterweight champion Brook before the promoter laid the out the offer.
“Enough of the insults, Amir Khan we will make this easy for you. 60-40 in your favour (Kell is world champ) and you have it,” Hearn tweeted.
Brook is booked in for a mandatory defence of his IBF crown against Canada’s Kevin Bizier on March 26 at Sheffield Arena.
Khan has suggested this is another example of the 29-year-old agreeing other fights in order to avoid him.
The potential clash between Brook and Khan is boxing’s longest running will they, won’t they saga and has seen both sides throw accusations that the other is scared of taking the bout.
And that was certainly what Olympic silver medalist Khan was suggesting when he began his Twitter rant.
Khan wrote: “Eddie Hearn is cool. I had a good chat with him at the Smith fight in Liverpool and negotiations started before xmas.
“I want it, Eddie wants it, Sky want it, all the fans want it, but then Kell decides to fight Kevin Bizier who’s lost to Jo Jo Dan twice!
“Never known of a world champion to have 3 bum defences back to back, make that four if you include Diego Chaves, at least fight some1 in top 10.
“Mandatories can step aside, happens all the time. I was mandatory to Floyd [Mayweather] for 2 years with WBC.”
Khan made reference to a potential rematch this year with Danny Garcia, who defeated him for the WBA light welterweight title in 2011.
Garcia is set to face Robert Guerrero for the vacant WBC welterweight title on Saturday night with Khan tipped to face the winner.
But the Bolton fighter insists a clash with Brook could still be made, only if the current IBF king reduces his demands and takes the risk of facing him.
Khan wrote: “Brook fight could still happen this year but Brook wants 50:50 split with me.
“Wake up son and smell the coffee! Be realistic and make it happen, even Eddie told you your not worth that!
“Fact is they are fooling the fans fighting all these bums on the back of my name to hype his fights and profile saying I’m running scared etc.
“Brook-Alexander called off three times. He turned down Bradley, Rios fight didn’t happen. And he retired poor Marquez by mentioning his name 2 much.
“Seriously guys. Imagine if I fought Jo Jo, Gavin and Bizier? I’d rather retire. I want the big fights and will continue to do so.
“Got let down by Floyd 3 times then Pacquiao but plenty big fights out there including Brook, Garcia and some huge fights too.”
Khan finished by tweeting a mocked up fight poster of Brook staring down a backside, poking fun at the standard of the Sheffield fighter’s recent opponents.
Promoter Hearn wasted no time in firing back, taking exception to Khan’s suggestion Brook had demanded a 50:50 split of the fight money.
Hearn wrote: “Incorrect. Your lawyer asked for 80:20. We have confirmed we will give you a greater split to get it made.
“Ok..I was asked not to say anything in the media re our negotiations but guess that’s been breached!
“On Monday I met with Amir Khan’s lawyer. He asked for a £10m guarantee with upside to fight Brook with Kell getting approx £2-2.5m. After I spat my coffee out we said no thanks.
“Since then I have been in discussions with Al Haymon’s team to try and get this made. We are willing to take the smaller split to get this made but enough of the insults.”
Hearn then made his 60:40 offer to Khan, which Brook also responded to.
“There you have it Amir Khan - put up or shut up. No more talk, June 4, Wembley Stadium for the world title. I will destroy you.”
With the clash between super bantamweight kings Scott Quigg and Carl Frampton made, the Brook-Khan bout is the biggest fight yet to be made in terms of British boxing interest, hence Wembley being touted as the venue.
An outdoor show can only be held in the summer in the UK and therefore it was always likely either man would have taken a fight in early spring in order to stay active.
Brook has not fought since last May when he successfully defended his title against Frankie Gavin.
A rib injury suffered in sparring forced Brook to cancel a scheduled defence in October against Diego Chavez. The Ingle-trained boxer has not fought since.
Khan has also not fought since last may when he comfortably out-pointed Chris Algieri in New York. The 29-year-old has on several occasions held out for fights with Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao without success.