Tragic discovery of South Yorkshire boy’s body

Missing teenager Lewis Eddleston.
Missing teenager Lewis Eddleston.
Have your say

DEVASTATED neighbours have paid tribute to missing South Yorkshire teenager Lewis Eddleston following the discovery of a boy’s body.

Police yesterday sealed off a huge area of farmland near Hungerhill School at Edenthorpe in Doncaster after the body of a youngster was found in a ditch.

The tragic discovery was less than half a mile from where 13-year-old Lewis was last seen alive on Sunday.

There was no official confirmation of identity last night.

But neighbours living near the family home in Clay Lane named the dead youngster as Lewis, and social media sites were inundated with tributes.

Upset neighbours in Wilberforce Road, Clay Lane, where Lewis lives with mum Diane and dad Norman, last night spoke of their shock.

Craig Sayles said: “It’s horrible - really upsetting. I’ve got kids myself so it makes you think. You can’t believe it when something like this happens on your own doorstep.

“He was a nice lad, always polite, and would chat to you if you saw him in the street.

“I used to see him knocking around outside the shops and he’d usually have a laugh and a joke with me because we had the same pair of trainers. It’s really, really awful.”

Another neighbour, who declined to be named, said: “We are in absolute shock. I knew him and used to see him around. No-one can take in the news round here - everyone is in a bit of a daze.”

Scores of tributes were posted on the youngster’s Facebook page by upset friends and fellow pupils at Hungerhill School. Sammy Barnett posted: “You were such a lovely lad, everyone who knew you is going to miss you.”

A candlelight vigil is being planned in Sandall Park this evening from 6pm, with scores of friends, family and relatives set to attend.

Mum Diane had pleaded for Lewis to get in touch following his disappearance shortly before 4pm on Sunday.

Police were called to Hungerhill Lane yesterday morning after the discovery of a youngster in a ditch.

Ambulance crews attempted resuscitation but were unsuccessful, said police.