Tragic cyclist still unidentified

Derbyshire Police have released an image of the cyclist who died in last week's A61 crash
Derbyshire Police have released an image of the cyclist who died in last week's A61 crash
Have your say

A tragic cyclist killed in a crash on the Dronfield bypass a week ago has still not been identified.

Nobody has come forward to report the middle-aged man missing, and efforts to establish who he is have not yet succeeded despite earlier public appeals by the police.

The man, who is thought to have been aged between 55 and 65, had no identification on him at the time of the crash with a Citroen C3 on the A61 Dronfield bypass last Thursday.

Officers are now stepping up their attempts to establish his identity by releasing images, and more details about the man. An artist has drawn up an e-fit of the man’s face in the hope someone will recognise him, and police say he may have been involved in triathlons in the past.

A T-shirt he was wearing, and a sticker on the back of his helmet, both referred to the sport.

As well as the e-fit, police have also published a picture of the brand of yellow and black bike he was riding, and pictures of the cream coloured helmet and red shoes he was wearing.

The cyclist, who was riding a Carrera TDF bicycle, suffered serious head injuries and was taken by air ambulance to the Northern General Hospital in Sheffield, where he later died.

A spokesman for Derbyshire Police said: “The man was white, aged 55 to 65, 5ft 6ins to 5ft 8ins tall with short, light brown hair.

“He had no tattoos but a small scar to his abdomen. He was wearing black lycra shorts and red cycling shoes.

“He was wearing a white T-shirt which said ‘Barnsley Metrodome Triathlon 1990’ and there was a sticker on the back of his helmet that said ‘Friar Tuck Triathlon 2002’. The race number was 100. This suggests he may have been active in taking part in triathlons at some point.

“Anyone with information should call Derbyshire police on 101, quoting incident 451 of July 31.”

The collision happened on the southbound carriageway of the A61 at about 3.20pm last Thursday, July 31.