Tortoise dies in house fire on Machon Bank, Sheffield, linked to electrical fault in tank

A man had to flee his Sheffield home at 1am when a fire broke out, believed caused by a fault in a pet’s tank.

Monday, 22nd November 2021, 9:00 pm

Two fire stations sent crews to deal with the blaze which broke out in the early hours of this morning (Monday) on Machon Bank, near Nether Edge, and which killed a tortoise.

It is thought to have been caused by faulty wiring in a container which had been set up for a tortoise in the house.

The householder got out of the property when he heard the smoke alarm going off, and was already outside the property when the fire engines arrived.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

File picture of a firefighter. One tortoise died and one was saved when a suspected electrical fault in a toirtoise tank caused a house fire on Machon Bank, near Nether Edge

A spokesman for South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “Firefighters from Lowedges and Central were called to Machon Bank, Sheffield, at 1.06am.

"Upon arrival they found a developing fire in the living room of a house, with the occupier already outside having been alerted by a smoke alarm.

"Crews immediately entered the property to tackle the blaze and stop it spreading any further. This is believed to have started due to an electrical fault on a tortoise tank. We left the scene at 2am.”

Second Nether Edge tortoise saved by firecrews

The tortoise which had been in the tortoise tank in the lounge could not be saved, and died in the fire.

But the firefighters were able to save another tortoise which was in the blazing property, which was in another room.

It is not the first time a tortoise’s accommodation has caused a house fire.

Similar incidents have been reported in recent years in cities including Leicester, Manchester and Sunderland.