Thug headbutted his partner so badly she was left covered in blood

A thug who kicked, punched, bit and head-butted his former partner so badly she was left covered in blood has narrowly been spared from time behind bars.

By The Newsroom
Friday, 13th July 2018, 5:12 pm
Updated Monday, 16th July 2018, 5:16 pm

Chesterfield magistrates’ court heard on Thursday, July 12, how Joshua Watson, 23, carried out two vicious attacks at his partner’s home on Naples Crescent, Pleasley, including headbutting her so hard across her nose her t-shirt was left covered in blood.

Prosecuting solicitor Sarah Haslam said: “They were arguing over getting a takeaway in the bedroom but she didn’t want food but he did.

“She was in bed and he pulled the quilt from her and she put her arms up and he kicked her in the ribs two or three times.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Chesterfield magistrates' court.

“She tried to get out and he grabbed her right breast and pinched and squeezed it very hard.”

Mrs Allsop added that in relation to the second assault 19 days later they were in the kitchen when the complainant was using his phone and noticed texts from him to another girl stating, ‘I love you’.

The complainant confronted Watson and he denied sending the texts, according to Mrs Haslam, before punching the complainant four or five times in the ribs causing her to fall over.

Mrs Haslam added that he tried to grab the phone but when she refused to let him have it he bit one of her fingers and her left forearm.

The couple continued to argue before Watson headbutted the complainant, according to Mrs Haslam, across the top of her nose and she was left bleeding heavily onto her top.

Watson, of Belle Vue Lane, at Blidworth, Mansfield, pleaded guilty to the two assaults from January 1 and from January 19.

Defence solicitor Charles Clark said the defendant, who works as a carer, has anger management issues but he is willing to work with the probation service to address his problems.

He added: “There are no drug or alcohol issues. This is a young man who has demonstrated an understanding of how shocking and abysmal his behaviour was and he is genuinely remorseful.

“He’s not heavily convicted and he will in my submission not seek to repeat this and come to the court’s attention.”

Magistrates sentenced Watson to 14 weeks of custody suspended for 12 months with a Rehabilitation Activity Requirement and 100 hours of unpaid work.

Watson must pay £85 costs, £350 compensation and a £115 victim surcharge.

He was also given a two-year restraining order.